Bus Vannin in Crisis

0bserver

I went down to Pt Erin on the bus yesterday at 12 ish midday and back at 3 ish. Before leaving I looked up the times of buses , as per new timetable , and amazed that there is 4 each way every hour. Clearly far to many as buses I travelled on were a quarter full and single deckers . Surely the sensible thing to do would be have two a hour and maybe make them double deckers. Problem solved , Bill is in the post Mr Longworth !! 

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Wavey Davey said:

Jesus Christ £32.00 per person for a burger and a pint dressed up as a meal on the train? That makes a £7.50 hotdog at the Grandstand look incredibly cheap. Nice to see that we’re all so desperate that even IOM is TT profiteering. That is an insane price. 

I kinda agree but remember its over £16 return for the train . Still a dear burger and bap though !! 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

I kinda agree but remember its over £16 return for the train . Still a dear burger and bap though !! 

That is ridiculous. £16 to go to Port Erin and back on the train and £16 on top for a burger and a beer each when people complain about the chippy’s putting 50p on a bag of chips for TT? It appears that IOM government are the biggest TT rip off merchants going. 

3 minutes ago, Wavey Davey said:

That is ridiculous. £16 to go to Port Erin and back on the train and £16 on top for a burger and a beer each when people complain about the chippy’s putting 50p on a bag of chips for TT? It appears that IOM government are the biggest TT rip off merchants going. 

Sorry just checked . Its £13 40 return to Pt Erin... makes it worse in some ways though . 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Numbnuts said:

I went down to Pt Erin on the bus yesterday at 12 ish midday and back at 3 ish. Before leaving I looked up the times of buses , as per new timetable , and amazed that there is 4 each way every hour. Clearly far to many as buses I travelled on were a quarter full and single deckers . Surely the sensible thing to do would be have two a hour and maybe make them double deckers. Problem solved , Bill is in the post Mr Longworth !! 

Your solution to cancelled bus is to cancel buses. 

in any case I was on the return Port Erin to Douglas bus just after 12 and it was full by the time we got to Douglas. The buses are popular at different times in different directions. Sunny summer Saturday afternoons the buses to Port Erin are packed. 

Coming back there was standing room  only until Castletown. 

You’d probably need to run double deckers to accommodate the peaks of less frequent service. 

8 minutes ago, Declan said:

Your solution to cancelled bus is to cancel buses. 

in any case I was on the return Port Erin to Douglas bus just after 12 and it was full by the time we got to Douglas. The buses are popular at different times in different directions. Sunny summer Saturday afternoons the buses to Port Erin are packed. 

Coming back there was standing room  only until Castletown. 

You’d probably need to run double deckers to accommodate the peaks of less frequent service. 

No my solution is to cut down the buses an hour so you should then have enough drivers. The timetable is not realistic for the level of passengers. Remember there were timetabled buses cancelled to Pt Erin and back  yesterday afternoon . If you did what I'm suggesting you would have spare drivers to fit in busy times. A bus driver friend also agrees there are to many buses on same routes for level of passengers .   

But those buses would need to be double deckers - to cope with the peaks. 

Also it’s worth remembering the current timetable has worked well enough for five years or so, this a temporary staffing issue resulting in the loss of a handful of buses, that will hopefully be solved by recruiting new drivers soon.

The solution you’re proposing is to cancel far more buses permanently. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Declan said:

But those buses would need to be double deckers - to cope with the peaks. 

Also it’s worth remembering the current timetable has worked well enough for five years or so, this a temporary staffing issue resulting in the loss of a handful of buses, that will hopefully be solved by recruiting new drivers soon.

The solution you’re proposing is to cancel far more buses permanently. 

Lots could go and less frequent on some routes for sure . And I think the current new timetable is quite different to previous .

Edited by Numbnuts

11 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

No my solution is to cut down the buses an hour so you should then have enough drivers. The timetable is not realistic for the level of passengers. Remember there were timetabled buses cancelled to Pt Erin and back  yesterday afternoon . If you did what I'm suggesting you would have spare drivers to fit in busy times. A bus driver friend also agrees there are to many buses on same routes for level of passengers .   

Totally agree, far too much frequency on some routes for demand & need reducing. Yes some buses maybe busy but overall occupancy during day would be less than 50% on majority of routes & that’s just economic madness!

4 minutes ago, Banker said:

Totally agree, far too much frequency on some routes for demand & need reducing. Yes some buses maybe busy but overall occupancy during day would be less than 50% on majority of routes & that’s just economic madness!

Question.

Are people more likely to use the bus services if they are 

a) frequent?

b) rare?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Question.

Are people more likely to use the bus services if they are 

a) frequent?

b) rare?

Used if required, waiting extra 10/15 minutes won’t stop usage, just make it more relevant for demand 

• Like 1