Bus Vannin in Crisis

0bserver

2 hours ago, 0bserver said:

The impending recession and crash in reserves should focus a few minds.

It’s actually happening across the board. Restaurants can’t get staff to work nights and weekends. Shops can’t get people to work Sundays etc. Nobody wants to work like they did before coming out of Covid and people are sacrificing income to get some form of life back. I don’t blame the bus drivers here. They’re on £10 an hour whether it’s 7AM in the morning or 11PM at night. I honestly couldn’t be arsed digging some incompetent manager out of the shit at a weekend for £10 an hour if I had better things to do. No wonder they’re offering them double or treble the rate to do certain shifts. Zero hours contracts work both ways and the labour market has shifted.

5 minutes ago, Bandits said:

It’s actually happening across the board. Restaurants can’t get staff to work nights and weekends. Shops can’t get people to work Sundays etc. Nobody wants to work like they did before coming out of Covid and people are sacrificing income to get some form of life back. I don’t blame the bus drivers here. They’re on £10 an hour whether it’s 7AM in the morning or 11PM at night. I honestly couldn’t be arsed digging some incompetent manager out of the shit at a weekend for £10 an hour if I had better things to do. No wonder they’re offering them double or treble the rate to do certain shifts. Zero hours contracts work both ways and the labour market has shifted.

Well hopefully those turning work down won’t be whining they can’t afford energy & food bills & looking for handouts from government 

29 minutes ago, Passing Time said:

The whole bus vannin shitshow needs an overhaul. Is there any need for the number of buses out and about. 3 every hour to Onchan, same with Willaston, Pulrose, Anagh Coar and Ramsey

If this was a private business it would be run a lot more efficiently than it is now

Frequent buses make it reasonably efficient for the people who actually use them.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Zero hour workers shouldn't be driving public service buses anyway. If I get on a bus full of people I expect a fully trained, accredited and contracted driver, not somebody who's just come off his other shift on the overnight sailing from Heysham. 

This is something that DOI/Bus Vannin just don’t understand, if you drive the same/similar vehicle everyday it’s like a comfy pair of slippers after awhile but they aren’t interested, as a result the quality of drivers has definitely gone down hill, they think nothing of having someone drive a minibus in the morning and then a bus in the afternoon, a simple FOI request on how many replacement mirrors they have fitted alone would make most peoples eyes water.

At one time Zero hours contracts was the only way to work towards a full time job because they were in demand, not now.

When I was a student, long, long ago I used to work for the Corpy bus service as a clippie during the summer vacation. I was hanging off the back of the bus arriving at Lord Street when the driver, who shall remain nameless, drove that old Leyland Tiger Cub into a bus shelter and demolished it (and the bus). When he filled in the accident report form he recorded that he had 'kissed the accelerator' as he approached the bus stop, whereupon the bus ran out of control. By return he got his P45 together with a note saying that instead of kissing the accelerator he should have been looking where he was going...

• Like 1

There's actually a whole Govt committee that looks at the Island's ZHC situation, I'm sure Hooper's on it?

ZHC is just a way of giving management an easy option (IMHO), yes there are those who say that the flexibility suits the employee too and that's undoubtedly true in some cases. But it's just a way of not having to plan short and medium term by management. Or usefully and gainfully employ a full time workforce  which is part of management's whole job.

Cheaper? Yes, we can use the savings to pay ever more managers or increase shareholder dividends, where applicable.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Passing Time said:

Too frequent you mean. Especially when the buses are near empty most of the time

And that is why they have introduced the Village Connect service in the North of the Island to try and avoid empty buses and provide the service when needed. 

Not sure why they haven’t replicated it in the South

2 hours ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Zero hour workers shouldn't be driving public service buses anyway. If I get on a bus full of people I expect a fully trained, accredited and contracted driver, not somebody who's just come off his other shift on the overnight sailing from Heysham. 

What checks are actually in place?

35 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

What checks are actually in place?

Well I’ve used the bus on many an occasion.  Probably hundreds of times during my time on the Island.

Never had a problem with the standard of driving. 
The drivers are always pleasant and although you can argue about the economics of it I think we are well served by the bus service.