Bus Vannin in Crisis

0bserver

5 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Screenshot_20220524-083151_Facebook.jpg

Strange that. I’ve done a lot of cruising and I’ve never been picked up by a bus anywhere else in the world. Usually it’s a luxury coach with a high floor so you can see the scenery. The exact type of vehicle that doesn’t seem to be able to operate in the IOM for some made up reason. This is just a made up load of rubbish. Honestly Tim Crookall why do you allow these people to just talk out of their arses to justify their own incompetence.

• Like 7

The buses are being used for what the coaches should be doing....

So then BV tell the coach operator that coaches can't be used to backfill in for the buses?

Is this world going mad or do we just need to execute Longworth?

Edited by Non-Believer
typo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

If DfE, CanCom, Tynwald and the rest of our motley public sector crew are serious about building a tourism sector that attracts 500,000 visitors a year, then they need to start developing an ecosystem in which private tourism companies can prosper. 

The current taxpayer-subsidised model of 'tourism' is totally unsustainable and cannot continue. A blanket ban on Bus Vannin touting for private hire work is needed. Then help Tours (and any other private company that wants to) in any sensible way they need. 

Somebody needs to ask a question in Tynwald as to what the net contribution was to Bus Vannin from private hire work. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Declan said:

I don't think they're only talking about the cruise trade. The DOI response mentions ticketing, which wouldn't be a factor if it was just cruises.

But nobody has asked for Tours to fill in the bus service. The suggestions have all been to let Bus Vannnin do bus work and Tours to do coach work - like they would almost anywhere else in the world. 

Bus Vannin don't have the resources to provide the cruise excursion work anyway. 

50 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

The buses are being used for what the coaches should be doing....

So then BV tell the coach operator that coaches can't be used to backfill in for the buses?

Is this world going mad or do we just need to execute Longworth?

Cruising is generally a luxury experience. Most cruise excursions I’ve ever done have been by coach. That is what coaches are for. To give you an elevated view of the countryside you are touring through. Except on the IOM where you get to travel on a bus for that real low budget experience you should have when visiting a low budget tourist destination like the IOM. Also there aren’t many cruise ships which are disable adapted and in general here you have to come across by launch which I can’t imagine is very wheelchair friendly bobbing around in a small boat and then getting up those harbour steps in Peel or Douglas. So I would guess the whole disabled argument is actually rubbish and the DOI might want to confirm exactly how many disabled cruise passengers they carried. 

They shouldn’t even be arguing about this. They should just be giving Longworth the contents of his desk in a bin bag. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Banker said:

Longworth is blocking any agreement with private operators, he needs to step down!

Longtail should move to Ramsey, he'd fit in nicely with the backward thinking commissioners

ETA - Longworth is a twunt...

Edited by Passing Time
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, 0bserver said:

But nobody has asked for Tours to fill in the bus service. The suggestions have all been to let Bus Vannnin do bus work and Tours to do coach work - like they would almost anywhere else in the world. 

Bus Vannin don't have the resources to provide the cruise excursion work anyway. 

But why would Tours not having the ticketing capability be used to justify turning down their offer to help on the cruise contract?