Bus Vannin in Crisis

0bserver

I think someone suggested that Tours be used to fill in on the public service routes that is where the ticketing remark came in.    The cruise passengers should be accommodated by Tours if they are willing to do it but I am not convinced that the cruise contracts are the problem there are cancellations on days that there are no boats in.    I think the bus drivers are discontented with their pay and conditions and are suiting themselves when they work which they can do under their new terms.   Tim needs to give them proper contracts and a decent wage and things would return to normal very soon saying they are resting before the busy TT period is ludicrous I could not believe my ears when he came out with this tripe the other day on MR.

• Like 5

See his claim or wish hasnt lasted long ! 

Bus services on the Isle of Man could be cut during the TT races due to a shortage of drivers, the infrastructure minister has said.

Tim Crookall told the House of Key more than 150 Bus Vannin journeys had been cancelled since 14 May because of staff illness and vacancies.

Changes to the TT timetable would have to reflect "the amount of drivers we have", he added.

Thousands of fans are due to arrive for the event, which starts on 29 May.

Mr Crookall said an amended festival timetable would be released soon, but warned "we can only provide what services we can with the drivers we have at any one time". 

Bus Vannin was currently up to 12 drivers short as a result of a combination of high sickness levels and people retiring or leaving, he added.

19 hours ago, hissingsid said:

I think someone suggested that Tours be used to fill in on the public service routes that is where the ticketing remark came in.    The cruise passengers should be accommodated by Tours if they are willing to do it but I am not convinced that the cruise contracts are the problem there are cancellations on days that there are no boats in.    I think the bus drivers are discontented with their pay and conditions and are suiting themselves when they work which they can do under their new terms.   Tim needs to give them proper contracts and a decent wage and things would return to normal very soon saying they are resting before the busy TT period is ludicrous I could not believe my ears when he came out with this tripe the other day on MR.

We can’t give every group like bus drivers, teachers etc a pay rise & terms they demand because they stamp their feet & take action or we’ll have even more economic problems 

28 minutes ago, Banker said:

We can’t give every group like bus drivers, teachers etc a pay rise & terms they demand because they stamp their feet & take action or we’ll have even more economic problems 

Indeed, ordinarily I would concur, however regarding Dim Tim's comment to the Keys as @Numbnuts posted above: 

Mr Crookall said an amended festival timetable would be released soon, but warned "we can only provide what services we can with the drivers we have at any one time". 

Bus Vannin was currently up to 12 drivers short as a result of a combination of high sickness levels and people retiring or leaving, he added.

I go back to 2013 when IL/NB/GC with the firm backing of Tim Crookall (who don't forget was the Minister responsible for 'throwing away £350,000 + goodness knows how much on The Cabbage - Dim Tim told Tynwald that it was an 'essential' piece of kit in 2012, though obviously not that 'essential' as it has been inoperable since it arrived), the DCCL took draconian measures to change the working practices and wages of the drivers, resulting in several strikes including during the 2013 TT fortnight. This further resulted in sackings, drivers resigning with accusations of bullying and the Zero hour contracts that we have now. This draconian approach by Bell, Black, Crookall, Cregeen and the chief protagonist Longworth is the reason we are struggling with drivers, and the reason buses are unavailable. Longworth should be engaging with Tours but his ego is stopping him because it could be perceived that he is losing face if he does accept their offer to help.

It is all coming back to bite Crookall on the arse, and he is still spouting utter shite, as did his replacement/predecessor. Once again the Minister in charge of BV is being puppeteered! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Banker said:

If they had been treated better from the outset then this problem would not have arisen...

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Passing Time said:

If they had been treated better from the outset then this problem would not have arisen...

Well I know a couple of drivers & they are happy with the pay, pension & working conditions but they are full time 

5 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

A cruise ship alongside Victoria Pier this morning and not a Bus Vannin vehicle in sight... all Tours as far as I can see.... and as if by magic the Isle of Man Transport Facebook page hasn't listed any cancellations. Funny that. 

But surely there will be 100’s of disabled cruise passengers stood there now looking forlornly at all those coaches that the DOI say aren’t suitable to take cruise passengers? 😂😂

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Bandits said:

But surely there will be 100’s of disabled cruise passengers stood there now looking forlornly at all those coaches that the DOI say aren’t suitable to take cruise passengers? 😂😂

I wonder what they do at all the non-accessible MNH sites and non-accessible heritage trams?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Banker said:

Well I know a couple of drivers & they are happy with the pay, pension & working conditions but they are full time 

Must be on old contracts and refused the 20k to move onto new contracts then? Because the new contracts mean you don’t get a say in anything, you get what you’re given and treated like a donkey.

Edited by Annoymouse

12 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

I wonder what they do at all the non-accessible MNH sites and non-accessible heritage trams?

The department is an absolute joke. If Crookall had any self respect he’d be kicking peoples asses into next week.