Bus Vannin in Crisis

0bserver

42 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

What checks are actually in place?

None, it relies on drivers using common sense and being honest. We don’t have driver hours logged, there is no tachographs or drivers cards, the only check is meeting licence conditions and availability. Should you drive knowing you were tired (say from a previous night shift) and have an accident, you’d be found liable as it’s you who’s made the decision to drive.

Edited by Annoymouse

2 hours ago, Expat. said:

When I was a student, long, long ago I used to work for the Corpy bus service as a clippie during the summer vacation. I was hanging off the back of the bus arriving at Lord Street when the driver, who shall remain nameless, drove that old Leyland Tiger Cub into a bus shelter and demolished it (and the bus). When he filled in the accident report form he recorded that he had 'kissed the accelerator' as he approached the bus stop, whereupon the bus ran out of control. By return he got his P45 together with a note saying that instead of kissing the accelerator he should have been looking where he was going...

This sounds like an episode from On the Buses. 

The whole timetable needs a proper overhaul. Too many empty buses and many, especially in the east, covering the same ground another bus has covered just minutes before 

I think if they had an easy to read and understandable timetable many more people would use the services. I live near 4 bus stops, but the timetable is so convoluted it's near impossible to be 100% sure what stop you need to be at! 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Hooly said:

The whole timetable needs a proper overhaul. Too many empty buses and many, especially in the east, covering the same ground another bus has covered just minutes before 

I stand to be corrected but I think there's about 4 buses per hour to the south now via Ronaldsway. 

38 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

I suspect those making the complaints - "they're always empty", "there are too many" "I'm too stupid to use a timetable" - are not those who actually need to get the bus.

Ignorance and selfishness run deep.

But lots are empty & i what people are saying run some services 2/3 times per hour in off peak times  rather than 4 times per hour to make it fit the number of drivers 

11 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Well I’ve used the bus on many an occasion.  Probably hundreds of times during my time on the Island.

Never had a problem with the standard of driving. 
The drivers are always pleasant and although you can argue about the economics of it I think we are well served by the bus service.

this proves you are talking out of your hoop. Thanks anyway for your comments Ian...

2 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

I suspect those making the complaints - "they're always empty", "there are too many" "I'm too stupid to use a timetable" - are not those who actually need to get the bus.

I suspect you know eff all about people who comment. You sound like one of those that think you are entitled to a bus every twenty minutes and sod the cost. Grow up

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

Devon, is that you? 

10 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Well I’ve always found the drivers to be pleasant. Suppose it depends if you’re pleasant yourself.

Agree there are some who are pleasant but there is still that minority who should not be within a mile of the general public. Always scowling and grunt when you pay your fare. Probably related to Teapot... :whistling:

3 hours ago, Banker said:

But lots are empty & i what people are saying run some services 2/3 times per hour in off peak times  rather than 4 times per hour to make it fit the number of drivers 

The best way to prevent cancelled buses is to cancel buses?

There probably is less slack in the system than there was in the past. However, that's because the buses and drivers are out providing a service rather sat at the depot waiting around. 

Also, I can't remember the last time I caught an empty bus (or at one with no passengers other than me). Obviously, there are points on a journey where there are few passengers but that doesn't mean at other parts it's not full. 

Having a more regular service encourages bus use - you're less bound to an arbitrary timetable if you're only going to wait a maximum of 15 minutes. (Do you look at the tube times in central London or just turn up and get the next one?) And delays and cancelations are less impactful - for most passengers the recent cancelations will only have had 30 minutes between buses but that's the service you're proposing permanently. 

And the people most affected by the suggested reductions are the customers who pay full fare and generate the revenue that helps support all the concessions and vanity railways and probably have more options to switch to other forms of transport. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Well I’ve always found the drivers to be pleasant. Suppose it depends if you’re pleasant yourself.

Mostly they are and newer or contract drivers especially. 

There is one guy who's a dick. Sadly I remember my interactions with him more than all the others. 

5 minutes ago, Declan said:

And the people most affected by the suggested reductions are the customers who pay full fare and generate the revenue that helps support all the concessions and vanity railways and probably have more options to switch to other forms of transport.

Doubt it as most of them are during day on weekdays & are mostly those with free bus passes, kids at lunchtime etc