Bus Vannin in Crisis

0bserver

23 minutes ago, Declan said:

Bus Timetables are a mess today. Let's take an easy example.

You're a visitor and want to go from Port Erin to get into Town in time to watch the Champions League Final at eight.

So you go to https://www.iombusandrail.im/  and select the handy Journey Planner select a bus leaving PE @ 18:00 and it suggests - 18:07, 18:28, 18:48. The last of which will get you to the Prom in time for a pint before kickoff.

But you instead click on the New 2022/23 Timetable  https://www.iombusandrail.im/timetables-routes-and-fares/new-202223-timetable/ and find the buses go via Castletown @ 18:01, 18:12, 18:25, and 18:48.

But you know that the TT is starting so you click on TT2022 link https://www.iombusandrail.im/timetables-routes-and-fares/tt-2022/   then the South route https://www.iombusandrail.im/timetables-routes-and-fares/tt-2022/south-route/   and see today it's "Saturday service with 00:15 Journey only" and the link also says find the buses go via Castletown @ 18:01, 18:12, 18:25, and 18:48.

The you spot there's another link for something called Pre TT Classic - Billown - and you discover this impacts the South service, there's no indication unless you click on the link https://www.iombusandrail.im/timetables-routes-and-fares/tt-2022/pre-tt-classic-billown/ that this applies to your journey between Port Erin and Douglas, unless you know where Billown is. Here you learn the buses actually go via the Sloc @ 18:01 and 1825.

You then check social media to see if this bus is on this list of "may be cancelled buses"

https://www.facebook.com/IoMTransport?hc_ref=ARRyQfhGTdzDU-YsO0RMBLwm5h-uOxysgBG4HaKF_7yTOiX9PMeLhxLD9--KpbfagPg&fref=nf&__xts__[0]=68.ARBF-UE2uIOVGzwwIkTtRvrCd7-a3mVMGYHK9f8ogw7bQE4JE6jedWh2CAP_BNI03ygZHpx5-nXY0KRuzDOqw_biga8_mLU3Eg_BW-U0q9inqFLqxMWFtVNEIzLqwyS1pB9M38EUYgigoHMAOTZR-wdnyJblWNNquno7_Kxo_fBK8VZcYlKX8m9KKA-ME4KfeiE5rz3pRHpnLCpfnjl2Unemc5TJLcfL6KRCZwcqL9UUKyWyCkX3vkIt_HG8wijeBADmYHLcMcIavIVWxwtD9oxxMrvZXNnR-xXwCuZ7OYctoRyyrK8         

It isn't! But don't miss the 18:25 because the next bus has been cancelled.

But at least you don't live in Ballabeg and need to get to Castletown.

Go to the Falcon instead.

Don’t they run the train anymore as a bus replacement to Castletown?.

Our MHKs need to be pressing Crookall a lot harder on this and not accepting his flannel answers from Longworth. Precisely how has this state of affairs arisen and what is the lead up to it in respect of policies and management?

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

Go to the Falcon instead.

Don’t they run the train anymore as a bus replacement to Castletown?.

I forgot to look there! The last train from PE to Douglas is 17:45 that would cost £3:10 for the Ballabeg to Castletown journey. I suppose they could wait for the last train from Douglas then walk along the railway lines.

17 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Our MHKs need to be pressing Crookall a lot harder on this and not accepting his flannel answers from Longworth. Precisely how has this state of affairs arisen and what is the lead up to it in respect of policies and management?

You're right the Glover posted "I approve this" about the decision to move the turn around point a bit further in to Castletown, but his constituents in Colby and Ballabeg don't have a bus service today unless they walk to Ballafesson.

3 minutes ago, Declan said:

I forgot to look there! The last train from PE to Douglas is 17:45 that would cost £3:10 for the Ballabeg to Castletown journey. I suppose they could wait for the last train from Douglas then walk along the railway lines.

You're right the Glover posted "I approve this" about the decision to move the turn around point a bit further in to Castletown, but his constituents in Colby and Ballabeg don't have a bus service today unless they walk to Ballafesson.

They used to run extra train services in the evening at S100 time and at bus fares but that was pre Longworth.

Charging bus fares cannot be a logistical problem as they charge them on the monthly commuter train.

29 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Another edifice which hasn't exactly been starved of money but looks to be in a shambles !

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, asitis said:

Another edifice which hasn't exactly been starved of money but looks to be in a shambles !

The question is, Has this situation ever arisen before and when?

Then start asking the Why's...

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

I totally agree but some of our MHK’s are quite pathetically weak, afraid to challenge the establishment. I won’t name who I believe they are but I am sure some will agree.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Last Ten said:

I totally agree but some of our MHK’s are quite pathetically weak, afraid to challenge the establishment. I won’t name who I believe they are but I am sure some will agree.

i can't remember all the names of the 24 wasters either.

• Haha 1