Bus Vannin in Crisis

0bserver

4 hours ago, x-in-man said:

A little bit off topic - but sort of bus related.

I am trying to register a couple of Go Explore cards to use over TT with my mate.

We make full use of the busses, trains and trams to get us to pubs and back to save on beer scooter accidents.

I have used the same cards for about 5 years now, and to save the hassle of being grunted at by a government employee at the unwelcome centre - I thought I'd register them and 'top-up' online - quick and easy like.

You have to type the bloody card number into the webshite, check it and add your postcode within 100th of second or you get a lovely red box telling you that you have timed out.  Tried it several times now, and I can only get my timing down to 1 second from a click of the terms and conditions to putting in the card number.  I am being sneaky by cutting and pasting the number from 'notes'.

Fecking useless.

All 3 of my kids used the bus for school and every single time I topped up their cards the system went into wank mode. It always took about 30 minutes for what should have been a 2 minute job. Typical GTS crap system. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Itsmeee said:

All 3 of my kids used the bus for school and every single time I topped up their cards the system went into wank mode. It always took about 30 minutes for what should have been a 2 minute job. Typical GTS crap system. 

but the welcome centre  is closed on some afternoons , ,and it never seems to be open when the steam  packet boat arrives around 6pm , just as visitors are looking for information  about holidays and transport , 

you couldn't make it up ,time for a management clear out !

A friend came over to the Island some years ago to give a presentation to government.  He arrived on the superseacat in the evening, so you can tell how long ago it was.  Jim had lived on the island for a few years so was aware of how to get to his hotel.  After the presentation he was asked how his arrival in the island had been (the sea terminal having had a make over) Jim who always spoke his mind said “welcome centre was closed, no taxi available, and security that seemed to want rid of all off the cat. No indication as to bus stops, The only thing missing is the sign, welcome to the Isle of Man, now fcuk off.  Nothing changes does it.  

On 5/30/2022 at 10:11 PM, Omobono said:

but the welcome centre  is closed on some afternoons , ,and it never seems to be open when the steam  packet boat arrives around 6pm , just as visitors are looking for information  about holidays and transport , 

The Sea Terminal welcome centre is the most unwelcoming welcome centre going. 

• Like 2

It seems to be they can post cancellations. Just not possible cancellations. 

There’s no point announcing a cancellation that actually runs.  So they’re going to wait until it’s certain. 

Also there’s less likely to be cancellations now the schools are off. 

in any case the traffic is going to be so bad that the difference between a delay and cancellation is liminal  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NoTailT said:

Just seen a post on Bookface saying Longworth has told inspectors that under no circumstances should they publicise any more bus cancellatons.

I heard the same earlier. Crookall is apparently giving him hell over this happening in TT. 

ETA:

They're trying to hide cancellations in among general TT disruption. 

image.png.565b8fd8777f198adae93254bf0c3d71.png

Edited by 0bserver

3 hours ago, Declan said:

It seems to be they can post cancellations. Just not possible cancellations.

But everything is possible.

[When my son was very small, one time I looked down at him and said "Is there any chance you will tidy up your bedroom". He looked up at me and said "Everything is possible, but some things are just never going to happen". Then turned around and walked away. Possibly the DoI managers have the same philosophy.]

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, 0bserver said:

Would the team of highly paid civil servants in the Public Transport Division like a medal for doing their jobs?

Screenshot_20220602-151402_Facebook.jpg

Yes. And they’d like us all to be ever so grateful and impressed. 
‘Expecting’ to run a service shouldn’t be news!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, fredtosser said:

It would appear that the “customer experience manager” has been given DOI’s blessing to open and operate a secondary  Left Luggage business during the busiest fortnight of the year when customer experiences been at its lowest. Couldn’t make it up. 

That’s disgusting if true. So we’re giving the worst customer experience ever while the customer experience manager gets two weeks off to run a side business? Only in the totally morally corrupt IOM public sector could that happen. 

1 hour ago, Bandits said:

That’s disgusting if true. So we’re giving the worst customer experience ever while the customer experience manager gets two weeks off to run a side business? Only in the totally morally corrupt IOM public sector could that happen. 

Well she'll only be on around £40k, got to make ends meet.  And I'm sure she won't be taking the time off - like Jezza she'll be doing it at weekends and during annual leave.

• Like 1