Bus Vannin in Crisis

0bserver

40 minutes ago, quilp said:

He's "laid out his plans" for his retirement, according to the press-release. Make of that what you will. Don't think it's WIE. 

The operators license has always been in his personal name so perhaps they are now finding ways to ensure the RTLC come up with a way of removing his name from above the door as he ‘retires’ as that’s how he’s always managed to cling on before. There is a rumour circulating that he decided to retire quite suddenly after the whole cruise liner situation came to light. Because he had most certainly prioritized stealing business off a private hire company over providing an adequate level of service to the public who paid his wages.

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

The terminally cynical (like moi) might also suggest that his departing might be 

a) "conveniently" before the PAC starts rummaging in the Promenade doings; and

b) maybe before it transpires that the horse tram tracks have to come up again because the trams can't navigate the corners now....?

Because if he's gone, he's no longer accountable for anything. Pension and out the door whilst the taxpayers suck on yet another bitter pill.

They should put the useless fecker on unpaid gardening leave until all closets have been firmly rattled and checked

• Like 1

I think we need to give Longworth a round of applause. I mean he's overseen some elite level shithousery during his tenure! 

He's outlast 4 (or 5?) Ministers 

A couple of runaway trams down Snaefell (which would have seen of a more mortal civil servant)

Tipped a couple of MER trams off the tracks/on their sides. 

Several runaway Citaro buses 

Got Banks Circus registered as an approved Mercedes service centre (one of my personal favourites). 

Purchased the horse trams at a cost North of £7m (once you throw in the Prom work, stables etc) seemingly with no business plan (how did that get passed Treasury?)

Purchased a shit load of mini buses with seemingly no purpose for them. 

Demolished the taxi trade in the North of the island. 

Took patient transfer work from private businesses 

Made a Ray Harmer look like an absolute idiot by telling him it was 'essential' to run horse trams through the Prom roadworks 

While it's not all directly his 'fault', it's an epic achievement to have it all happen in his watch 

_102756756_mediaitem102756754.jpg

_89015801_89015800.jpg

986600-1.jpeg

images (25).jpeg

• Like 8

1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

Jeff Robinson hopefully.

How this fella is last man standing in DOI I have no idea. He makes Longworth look like a saint. St John’s crossing, Kirk Michael crossing, roundels, prom scheme, state of the roads…..if Carlsberg made shit directors….

once he’s gone, and I’m sure he will be next, there is no permanent civil servant in senior posts across the DOI, apart from the new airport director when he starts in august. Maybe this is Alfie’s way of dismantling it 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Newsdesk said:

The operators license has always been in his personal name so perhaps they are now finding ways to ensure the RTLC come up with a way of removing his name from above the door as he ‘retires’ as that’s how he’s always managed to cling on before. There is a rumour circulating that he decided to retire quite suddenly after the whole cruise liner situation came to light. Because he had most certainly prioritized stealing business off a private hire company over providing an adequate level of service to the public who paid his wages.

Not sure the bit regarding the 'operator licence" is quite correct. I'm not saying it isn't but I don't think it to be the case and I have looked a bit at all this before. 

Basically getting to technicalities there is the operator registration and the Section 25 Licence to operate the buses. There is no Operator Licence. 

There was a situation some time ago when one operator registration was under "fleet services and the other one I'm pretty sure was Bus Vannin. Having 2 registrations was a contravention of a section of the Road Transport Act (cannot remember which Section) and was hastily rectified by the RTLC, to my knowledge under "DOI BUS VANNIN". 

The Section 25 regular service licence for the buses that stop on the bus stops will have a name assigned on it also. What that name is I'm unsure, but I would be amazed if it's anything but Bus Vannin/DOI. It'll come out of the wash soon I guess. I'm not saying you are incorrect, but if you are correct, it'll be interesting to see what happens. 

Apologies if all that is complicated. 🧐

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, SpunkCookie said:

How this fella is last man standing in DOI I have no idea. He makes Longworth look like a saint. St John’s crossing, Kirk Michael crossing, roundels, prom scheme, state of the roads…..if Carlsberg made shit directors….

once he’s gone, and I’m sure he will be next, there is no permanent civil servant in senior posts across the DOI, apart from the new airport director when he starts in august. Maybe this is Alfie’s way of dismantling it 

Have to kind of agree with this. Ian took on an ancient bordering on dangerous bus fleet with a highly difficult workforce (some v good and some very bad) whose terms and conditions were egregious.  And turned it round in the teeth of incredible opposition. 

1 minute ago, ptarmigan said:

Have to kind of agree with this. Ian took on an ancient bordering on dangerous bus fleet with a highly difficult workforce (some v good and some very bad) whose terms and conditions were egregious.  And turned it round in the teeth of incredible opposition. 

Thanks for your contribution and happy retirement, Ian. 

• Haha 5