Bus Vannin in Crisis

0bserver

1 hour ago, 0bserver said:

NPM reporting that DOI have recruited a morale officer to improve, well, morale. 

images (26).jpeg

If you listen to the associated MR clip from Crookall in yesterday's Keys (where it sounds like he could do with a morale officer himself) it appears that the DoI already have such a position.  So you can see what a great job he is doing. 

Presumably the workers treat the position as being equivalent to 'management spy' and given the way we saw HR behaving in the Ranson case, who is to say they were wrong?

• Like 1

It seems like the majority of bee level Government employees, such as Bus Drivers, Postal Workers, Airport Operatives seem to have lost the pride in their job, pushed to the limit by over paid middle and upper managers.

I also hear rumours there is lots of trouble within the Fire Service too. 

And let us not forget Chief Constable on facebook stating 40% of his officers have never experienced a TT. That is a shocking loss of frontline staff in just three years. 

Public service on the Isle of Man on its knees! 😖 

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Two-lane said:

The press statement did not say that there were any injuries in that incident - and there were rumours on this very forum that his lady partner had left. So is the phrase "allegedly driven"  significant?

Unless I am mistaken, that was the incident where a certain lady received shoulder injuries? If my information and understanding is incorrect then I have no issue apologising, but if I am incorrect perhaps it was another incident?

30 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

No. You’re right. She was chucked out of the front cabin into a hedge and received shoulder injuries.

You certainly know a thing or two. Someone (not me) made a FoI request for the accident report. This was denied on the grounds that there is still plenty of space under the carpet. But note that as far as I know, in England the RAIB reports are made public. But there is not a snowflake's chance in hell that any MHK will press for the law to be changed here.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

If you listen to the associated MR clip from Crookall in yesterday's Keys (where it sounds like he could do with a morale officer himself) it appears that the DoI already have such a position.  So you can see what a great job he is doing. 

Presumably the workers treat the position as being equivalent to 'management spy' and given the way we saw HR behaving in the Ranson case, who is to say they were wrong?

The morale officer is someone who was shit at his job in the airport, so was relocated to the sea terminal and given something to do. He doesn’t inspire anyone, but advises what route staff needs to follow if they need well-being support 

22 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

Now, we need a 'morale' officer.

I wonder why.

To keep things under control in case there's an outbreak of it?

Which there well might be now Longworth is "retiring".

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

It seems like only yesterday when they were all getting sacked and taken back on new, less favourable contracts.

Well they weren’t sacked, they were given the option of a 25k (from memory) ‘bonus’ to sign the new contract, which for many of them wasn’t worth it, unless they were just about to retire. The difference between these old and new contracts is causing issues throughout Government, various roles have also been re-graded in the process with less pay/benefits which also traps those on old contracts to stay put until they retire.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Newsdesk said:

It would be tricky to guess which one you’d save over a certain level. Even the interim head should not get the full time CEO role. 

I don’t envy Chris Thomas. Something tells me that he’s far too nice to do what needs to be done in there now. 

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Steady Eddie said:

I don’t envy Chris Thomas. Something tells me that he’s far too nice to do what needs to be done in there now. 

I get the impression she arrives at work every morning to uncover more mess than she’d fixed the day before. Must be thankless job for her to unpick everything. Someone needs 5 years to fix it and whilst you’re an ‘interim’ are you really going to go the extra mile if Alfie comes in one morning and says ‘off you trot, that’s not part of my island plan’