Bus Vannin in Crisis

0bserver

20 minutes ago, SpunkCookie said:

I get the impression she arrives at work every morning to uncover more mess than she’d fixed the day before. Must be thankless job for her to unpick everything. Someone needs 5 years to fix it and whilst you’re an ‘interim’ are you really going to go the extra mile if Alfie comes in one morning and says ‘off you trot, that’s not part of my island plan’ 

You do know that Chris is a bloke...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Annoymouse said:

Well they weren’t sacked, they were given the option of a 25k (from memory) ‘bonus’ to sign the new contract, which for many of them wasn’t worth it, unless they were just about to retire. The difference between these old and new contracts is causing issues throughout Government, various roles have also been re-graded in the process with less pay/benefits which also traps those on old contracts to stay put until they retire.

Some DCCL/BV employees were sacked under very dubious circumstances, and some of these 'sackings' were overturned - without doubt management bullying and intimidation was a recognised factor here.

With reference to the re-grading, how many government employees have actually benefited from this process yet, and more importantly, how many hardworking low paid, overworked and under appreciated government workers have been upgraded? I suspect none if any.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Will Halsall said:

With reference to the re-grading, how many government employees have actually benefited from this process yet, and more importantly, how many hardworking low paid, overworked and under appreciated government workers have been upgraded? I suspect none if any.

The "regrading" (which came in concurrent to the phasing out of the old Whitley Council and the creation of the Public Service Commission) was supposed to thin out and streamline the plethora of grades, local agreements and payscales that had arisen over the years and replace them with a new "spinal" system.

The aim of this was to "save money", people joining public service after this point were on far worse terms than those who were already employed, to include having to work overtime at no enhanced rate, reduced sick pay and holiday pay and entitlement. Naturally, all this was aimed at the lower grades of employees. This is all a matter of history and no lower grades benefited from it because it wasn't the intention that they should.

Of course all those at the top remained very unaffected by all this, indeed one of the conditions was that existing terms would be unaffected by the adoption of the new structure.

Now where have we seen this before?

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, Will Halsall said:

Some DCCL/BV employees were sacked under very dubious circumstances, and some of these 'sackings' were overturned - without doubt management bullying and intimidation was a recognised factor here.

Perhaps regrading was the wrong term (that was for manual workers as NB has pointed out above) I suppose what I’m talking about you could consider it downgrading, jobs that were previously A.O positions now A.A, E.O positions now A.O, many of these were done by stealth only after someone retired or moved into another other position, coupled with the downgrading and new pay grades/terms it created a perfect storm within the workforce with £10,000-£15,000 difference between colleagues effectively doing the same job.

5 hours ago, quilp said:

Lol, the headline front page of the Independent...

"It's Cloud Crookall Land!"

LMFAO.

Just seen that too. Last October Alf Cannan stated that Ministers couldn't trust or rely their civil servants to provide them with accurate information.

Quite clearly it's still going on and Crookall, for one, still hasn't registered it.

DfE are going to take him by the hand up the garden path on a fantastic journey to a fabled land.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Dave Hedgehog said:

Well blow me down with a feather. They have actually introduced a new timetable that actually reflects the current ability to run services.

What could have possibly changed in the last couple of days to allow that....

Disabled scooters will probably be allowed on all routes from next week too 😂

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Dave Hedgehog said:

Well blow me down with a feather. They have actually introduced a new timetable that actually reflects the current ability to run services.

What could have possibly changed in the last couple of days to allow that....

Disappointing but unavoidable I suppose.

It suggests passenger from the South looking to go to the hospital should change at Victoria Street. But buses to the Hospital actually  go from Lord Street. Passengers would be better advised to t/f at either the Brown Bobby or get off and on Pulrose Bridge and walk round the corner to the stop on Peel Road.