Bus Vannin in Crisis

0bserver

10 hours ago, Amadeus said:

The new traffic setup in Castletown is a disaster. Spoke to a few local businesses and trade is down up to 40%. I don’t know what they were thinking doing this but it needs changing ASAP. 

Have you spoken to businesses in the towns and villages too then. Almost everyone seems to be down but the Angry Butcher and his cronies are so busy wallowing in self pity that they can’t look beyond a few parking spaces. 

How do your residents and visitors to Douglas reach the strand street shops ? 

The cafe on the Square shuts early most of think there is an event on and probably has more covers out on the highway than they do inside and the gift shop next door hates visitors. hardly a recipe for success. 

10 hours ago, Amadeus said:

The new traffic setup in Castletown is a disaster. Spoke to a few local businesses and trade is down up to 40%. I don’t know what they were thinking doing this but it needs changing ASAP. 

Just flip the one way system so it favours people going into the centre of Castletown rather than out of it.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

This waffle from Rob Callister says that basically (whilst blaming covid for everything) the cruise visits were cancelled as they didn’t have enough bus drivers. At any time in the process did anyone say - alternatively there is a private hire business that could do the work we’ll give them a ring and see if they could supply vehicles and drivers. This is really embarrassing and really starting to piss me off. They’d rather fight petty fights and turn away visitors our shops and cafes desperately need than do things that will help us re-built our economy.

The whole press release is an exercise in writing sh**e.

7C89E197-3D1A-48E7-8F5F-2D280B230A98.jpeg

Monkey Pox???

5 minutes ago, Dave Hedgehog said:

Just flip the one way system so it favours people going into the centre of Castletown rather than out of it.

Easy isn’t it? They call the bypass the bypass for a reason. Now you have to use the bypass so as not to bypass Castletown. 

16 minutes ago, fredtosser said:

Have you spoken to businesses in the towns and villages too then. Almost everyone seems to be down but the Angry Butcher and his cronies are so busy wallowing in self pity that they can’t look beyond a few parking spaces. 

How do your residents and visitors to Douglas reach the strand street shops ? 

The cafe on the Square shuts early most of think there is an event on and probably has more covers out on the highway than they do inside and the gift shop next door hates visitors. hardly a recipe for success. 

I have certainly stopped going to Castletown of a Saturday afternoon or breaking a journey from Douglas to PE there in the last year. The absence of cars compared to PE used to make  it a better place to go shopping  

Partly that’s a bit of bloody mindednesses- if Castletown are disrupting my bus journey with protracted roadworks and pointless motorcycle races why spend money there? But the bus timetable changes make my habit of going PE to PSM then PSM to CTown and CTown To PE return harder. 

But the reality is if the retail proposition was better I’d overlook that. But the cafe’s out of food at 1:30, the butcher shuts at midday, it’s uncomfortable to browse in one of the gift shops. 

Edited by Declan

3 hours ago, offshoremanxman said:

This waffle from Rob Callister says that basically (whilst blaming covid for everything) the cruise visits were cancelled as they didn’t have enough bus drivers. At any time in the process did anyone say - alternatively there is a private hire business that could do the work we’ll give them a ring and see if they could supply vehicles and drivers. This is really embarrassing and really starting to piss me off. They’d rather fight petty fights and turn away visitors our shops and cafes desperately need than do things that will help us re-built our economy.

The whole press release is an exercise in writing sh**e.

7C89E197-3D1A-48E7-8F5F-2D280B230A98.jpeg

We all have a role in making the economy work for everyone post pandemic. It’s painful to see civil servants actively turning down opportunities for people to come here and spend money in shops. As noted above the liner went on to Liverpool where people have got off and have probably all spent a few quid in Liverpool One rather than here. That press release is just lies. Callister should be embarrassed to have put his name to it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Newsdesk said:

That press release is just lies. Callister should be embarrassed to have put his name to it. 

Our politicians put their names to packs of lies on a regular basis, it's certainly not a new phenomenon.

• Like 5

16 hours ago, Amadeus said:

I live in Douglas but work in C'town on the Parade - it only adds a few minutes to the drive down in the morning. I don't see what the big problem is

• Like 3

3 hours ago, offshoremanxman said:

Well I wonder if all the buses were working today to ferry the great and the good to the Tynwald Garden Party? It’s quiet on here today but maybe when some the quests come back online to slag off the people they were mixing with tomorrow we’ll find out if there were any logistics issues. 

Well they didn't update there facebook on services etc today so maybe even the office staff were off to the garden party too . Wouldn't have minded going tbh as Royal Marines Band Scotland are over. RM bands are the best in the world without doubt .

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 1

There was shiny Bus Vannin Merc double decker in Castletown on Saturday with the digital signs reading 'Wedding Bus' and a lovely image of a church on the digital screen on the back. They really will have a blast at anything and everything going apart from running it all properly.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, reptar said:

There was shiny Bus Vannin Merc double decker in Castletown on Saturday with the digital signs reading 'Wedding Bus' and a lovely image of a church on the digital screen on the back. They really will have a blast at anything and everything going apart from running it all properly.

That was probably booked many months ago