Bus Vannin in Crisis

0bserver

9 minutes ago, Passing Time said:

It’s not compulsory to wear them on a coach…

If you get on a coach anywhere in Europe there are signs telling you to wear a seat belt and the driver will remind you as well

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 0bserver said:

It looks like Bus Vannin are finally waking up and smelling the coffee. 

The Ramsey-Laxey-Douglas route has been slashed to hourly on Sundays, probably more than sufficient in reality. 

Yes they've cut right back on their previous timetable of one every sixty minutes.

(This revised timetable operates Mondays - Saturdays. The Sundays and Public Holidays timetable continues operating as previously advertised.)

28 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

Yesterday I drove all over the Island. Just about every bus stop had people with frowning faces, heads bent over their phones, wondering where the bus had gone. It was sad to see. 

Sign up as a driver . Get paid to drive all over the Island and brighten up everyones day 🤣🤣🤣😉win win .

29 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

Yesterday I drove all over the Island. Just about every bus stop had people with frowning faces, heads bent over their phones, wondering where the bus had gone. It was sad to see. 

My buses were on time yesterday, I don’t think there were cancellations. However, the timetable is confusing - it might still be the old one on the bus stop. 

plus the contingency service is making things late. Four single deckers worth of passengers into three leads to standing passengers and that makes getting on and off slower. 

9 minutes ago, Declan said:

My buses were on time yesterday, I don’t think there were cancellations. However, the timetable is confusing - it might still be the old one on the bus stop. 

plus the contingency service is making things late. Four single deckers worth of passengers into three leads to standing passengers and that makes getting on and off slower. 

My buses also operated on time but were fairly quiet going into Douglas lunchtime & back 5 ish

9 hours ago, 0bserver said:

The timetable has already been updated. It was previously more frequent 

No it wasn't.  I realised I had an old 2021-22 timetable still hanging around and checked in that and Ramsey had an hourly service via Laxey.  Maybe in the distant past, but not recently.  The journey time is 51/52 minutes so they can run the service through the day with two buses.

59 minutes ago, Declan said:

They've put up posters at few stops but most will unchanged - perhaps because they're hoping to get back to proper service fairly quickly.  But the cut backs mean that if there are further cancellations people may have to literally wait well over an hour (I've seen this myself).  It's going to mean people are more reluctant to go out in the evening in particular.

The real question is why it go so bad so quickly. A few months ago cancellations were rare, now they seem common even with a reduced timetable.  We've discussed the structural issues that underlie this and sometimes it doesn't take much to tip a system already under stress into crisis, but it would be nice to have some information.