Bus Vannin in Crisis

0bserver

My feeling is the zero hour contract drivers have just had enough of going the extra mile after the constant pressure they have been under to do more hours. I have a friend who is zero hours and he's said they have never been of the phone to try and get him to do more shifts. He's told them constantly he's not in a position to help really due to having just purchased a big property needing loads of work. He's a nice guy so has relented a bit but he's just told them no for the next few months till he catches up with the renovations. Also holiday time from now on so pretty sure with Covid and other illness thats why they are short again. I do know a lot of the shifts he was being offered were late shifts and at weekends that regular staff didnt want to do. Which I can understand . 

They blame covid, but you've got to wonder how much of this is really to do with the government's treatment of bus drivers over the last ten years.

I remember way back at the beginning of the dispute, when they were trying to rewrite the drivers terms and conditions, the upshot of which was the drivers taking a pay cut (around 10% springs to mind). The Driver's union stated that they would accept the new proposals  - as long as the proposed pay cut was implemented across the board in the department. Obviously that never happened, the government carried on with their public assault on the pay and conditions of the drivers, at one point as I remember even sacking them and re-employing them on new contracts. A good number of them are now on zero hours contracts.

So despite being several years into a climate "emergency" we have an extremely unreliable and expensive public transport system.

Perhaps it wasn't the drivers that were overpaid after all?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

They blame covid, but you've got to wonder how much of this is really to do with the government's treatment of bus drivers over the last ten years.

I remember way back at the beginning of the dispute, when they were trying to rewrite the drivers terms and conditions, the upshot of which was the drivers taking a pay cut (around 10% springs to mind). The Driver's union stated that they would accept the new proposals  - as long as the proposed pay cut was implemented across the board in the department. Obviously that never happened, the government carried on with their public assault on the pay and conditions of the drivers, at one point as I remember even sacking them and re-employing them on new contracts. A good number of them are now on zero hours contracts.

So despite being several years into a climate "emergency" we have an extremely unreliable and expensive public transport system.

Perhaps it wasn't the drivers that were overpaid after all?

From memory  the drivers were offered 25k to sign up on the new contracts and while some I believe did most told them to do one. Apparently the historical contracts were very generous .

7 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

Zero hours contracts were supposed to weight the power to the employer like McDonalds who want to keep really young desperate people on the hook for more hours. But in the IOM when people get older and more financially secure like a lot of the BV drivers the power shifts. If they can’t be arsed doing any extra hours as they don’t need the extra money then they won’t. This seems to be the main issue BV has. A lot of its drivers are over 50 who have probably done ok or are on private pensions and will only do the hours that suit them not the hours that suit BV.

But we all know the real reason was to get out of lots of obligations and redundancies , NI ,overtime ,  holiday pay and the likes .

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, offshoremanxman said:

Yes but it’s now come back to bite them. 

I think theres more wrong with BV though than this issue. Most , if its looked into will lead back to Longworth and his bullying mentality. The HR dept in Government and ministers over the years in his tenure have a lot to answer for. It would seem he's run roughshod over the whole setup . And for sure has had the golden ticket on expenditure. Mind blowing what he's got away with . 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

Totally agree. As I said the other day they also really need to take a deep dive into the whole procurement process and programme at BV in the last 10 years. At face value it’s much easier to fuck someone over after they’ve left then when they’re still employed by you. Which seems to be part of the process Alf is following. 

Not sure if that process ever will happen. Who was the treasury minister during most of these puchases . He had to have signed them off ..Or you'd like to think he had. Will open a can of worms and Alf wont want that.

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

I think that change of contract stuff was the start of it. We all want to feel included and valued and a huge enterprise such as Bus Vannin need the support of their employees now more than ever. Their employeesemployers? shafted them. That was the bottom line. With that they broke any feelings of ‘we’re all in it together’ and it’s turned into everyone for themselves.

A happy and supportive workforce was surely more important than the few bob they saved. (Compared with their boss spending money like it was going out of fashion). They lost the goodwill of the workers and they made themselves look untrustworthy, and now it’s a bit shit  

1 hour ago, Numbnuts said:

From memory  the drivers were offered 25k to sign up on the new contracts and while some I believe did most told them to do one. Apparently the historical contracts were very generous .

I think that was much later on. I think a lot was made of the contracts being generous by the management.

My point is, is the current situation caused by poor driving or poor management?