Bus Vannin in Crisis

0bserver

1 hour ago, Roxanne said:

I think that change of contract stuff was the start of it. We all want to feel included and valued and a huge enterprise such as Bus Vannin need the support of their employees now more than ever. Their employers shafted them. That was the bottom line. With that they broke any feelings of ‘we’re all in it together’ and it’s turned into everyone for themselves.

A happy and supportive workforce was surely more important than the few bob they saved. (Compared with their boss spending money like it was going out of fashion). They lost the goodwill of the workers and they made themselves look untrustworthy, and now it’s a bit shit

A statement applicable all over the IoM Public Sector.

There is nothing public service about the upper echelons of the Public Sector. It's all about looking after yourself and grabbing as much as you can; and if that means dumping upon those underneath you in the scramble for the loot, so be it.

Edited by Non-Believer
extra bit

13 hours ago, Passing Time said:

Thanks Ian but there were. They tried to hide them in the far garage at the bus depot

Simply untrue. As I recall, one of the reasons they were rejected was because they did not fit in the bus garage!

There were only ever 3 Mercedes artics brought to the Island, in Feb/Mar 2013. They were all used in service, briefly, before being rejected as unsuitable. They all remained in the ownership of Arriva Group to whom they were returned.

What you may be thinking of is the large number (around 10) redundant Citaros that were stored at Jurby in 2020, after their lovely shiny replacements arrived, and BV could not find buyers for the (not so) old ones. They were definitely hidden for a few months, before departing to Cardiff. 

15 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

But we all know the real reason was to get out of lots of obligations and redundancies , NI ,overtime ,  holiday pay and the likes .

Leaving much more wonga for the top echelons who remained unscathed to trough on. And indulge their fantasies.

ZHC are nothing more than an excuse for bad management, both financial and man as is now being proven. Who is accountable for this situation we now find our Public Bus Service left in? Oh that's right, he's just fucked off with his wheelbarrow. Mission accomplished.

1 hour ago, monasqueen said:

Were those the Citaros that kept going up in flames?

No, it was the artics being trialled that had a habit of spontaneous self-combustion. One at the Sea Terminal and one at Rhencullen if my memory serves me.

19 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

No, it was the artics being trialled that had a habit of spontaneous self-combustion. One at the Sea Terminal and one at Rhencullen if my memory serves me.

Although I did come across a Citaro alight on the rest and be thankful one evening a couple of years ago.

34 minutes ago, monasqueen said:

The best comment was at the bottom of the linked article.

"Overall, we have been very pleased with the reliability of the Mercedes buses."

😎

Well....if they've only had 3 or so go on fire out of the thousands that Longworth bought that's a pretty good record 😂

I think he tried to be!

Simply pointing to the Ambulances being MB. does not address which were the best most economic choice?

Years ago, someone tried to get an answer to this, MB saloons paid for, came up against the commercial confidentiality trick.

There's so much to complain about Longworth and BV you don't have to conject about other reasons!

Is past performance something Chris Thomas will investigate? Will he say time to move on?

Edited by Kopek

On 7/9/2022 at 12:08 AM, Roger Mexico said:

An hourly Sunday service? Luxury!

Here in Lancaster and surrounding environs there's zero Sunday services.