Bus Vannin in Crisis

0bserver

13 hours ago, Annoymouse said:

I’d quite like one for a camper conversion and I’ve spoken to others with the same idea, but it could be they get shipped to the UK and sold on for a higher price as that’s what they do with the regular buses.

They'd make a great camper conversion

7 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

Hilarious 

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/1300-sick-days-in-12-months-due-to-covid-and-stress-for-bus-vannin-staff/

Any other organization had staff with so much sick time off?

“Five employees were off with personal stress while a further three missed time through work-related stress resulting in a total of 107 days absence in June.

635.5 days were missed due to personal stress with a further 25.5 absences with work-related stress.”

Probably plod force IOM or any government department...

• Like 1

In the name of "making savings" and "efficiencies" (to coin 2 expressions), a number of IoM PS bodies have now decided to turn themselves into "commercial enterprises".

There is little commercial experience but still a relative pit of Govt funding to draw upon in order to fuel this transformation, a pit that the private enterprises who are now the competition cannot compete with. There remain the huge untouchable PS management structures attached.

The only places that the pressures are therefore felt are the lower PS employees of these bodies who bear the brunt of the efforts of these operations to magically become something they are not by the imposition of further workloads and cuts in their terms and conditions, the general public in cuts to the services they are paying for and the natural private enterprises who are now the handicapped competition.

This strategy is doomed to fail IMHO. Private industry will be stifled and damaged, services to the paying public will be cut and damaged and the huge management structures will continue to suck any vestiges of profitability that might purport to be made. But the management structures don't care about that because they're in receipt of that wonga.

Then they retire, job done.

What's left?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

40 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

In the name of "making savings" and "efficiencies" (to coin 2 expressions), a number of IoM PS bodies have now decided to turn themselves into "commercial enterprises".

There is little commercial experience but still a relative pit of Govt funding to draw upon in order to fuel this transformation, a pit that the private enterprises who are now the competition cannot compete with. There remain the huge untouchable PS management structures attached.

The only places that the pressures are therefore felt are the lower PS employees of these bodies who bear the brunt of the efforts of these operations to magically become something they are not by the imposition of further workloads and cuts in their terms and conditions, the general public in cuts to the services they are paying for and the natural private enterprises who are now the handicapped competition.

This strategy is doomed to fail IMHO. Private industry will be stifled and damaged, services to the paying public will be cut and damaged and the huge management structures will continue to suck any vestiges of profitability that might purport to be made. But the management structures don't care about that because they're in receipt of that wonga.

Then they retire, job done.

What's left?

Post of the year.

• Like 1

On 7/11/2022 at 9:16 AM, Non-Believer said:

Ah yes, Nick Black and we all know how that ended. A CEO being provenly led by the nose by his department managers to include Ian Longworth who was ego and empire-building on the taxpayers backs whilst leaving a trail of service and infrastructure mayhem in his wake.

I hope in about 5 years time (it'll take that long for things to become fully apparent and to do the calculations) somebody puts an FOI request in for exactly how much this period has cost in £sd.

I just wish there was some responsibility taken for these situations and if appropriate, proper sanctions applied.

21 minutes ago, Driver2020 said:

Heard today lots of upper screens on the double deck buses getting smashed because the DoI have not been trimming the low lying branches on the road.

Wonderful. Just in time for the dedicated double decker routes* which are meant to start on Saturday 23 July. My grandson has been waiting patiently for a top deck journey to Mooragh Park for months. 

*ie the number 5 Douglas/Peel/Ramsey and back, certain times of day.

37 minutes ago, Driver2020 said:

Heard today lots of upper screens on the double deck buses getting smashed because the DoI have not been trimming the low lying branches on the road.

Can't comment on the broken screens but certainly a front-of-the-top-deck bus ride from Ramsey to Kirk Michael in particular has been a "exciting" experience for the past few years.

One got the impression that BV/DOI were relying on the passage of the buses (and tall LGV) to knock protruding growth and branches off to save them a job.

42 minutes ago, Zarley said:

Wonderful. Just in time for the dedicated double decker routes* which are meant to start on Saturday 23 July. My grandson has been waiting patiently for a top deck journey to Mooragh Park for months

*ie the number 5 Douglas/Peel/Ramsey and back, certain times of day.

He'll not be so happy once he's done the trip. The sound of branches clattering against windows and roof will soon change his views

20 minutes ago, Passing Time said:

He'll not be so happy once he's done the trip. The sound of branches clattering against windows and roof will soon change his views

It’s cheaper than Disneyland (actually maybe not. Last time I went on a bus I thought the bloody fare included taking the actual bus home with me). 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4