Bus Vannin in Crisis

0bserver

12 hours ago, cissolt said:

Ideally yes, why not? 

we have greenies pontificating on the need to reduce fossil fuel use whilst encouraging global travel.

Even Great recognises that she can't talk about a climate emergency whilst flying from country to country.

So we should fold any attempt we have at tourism from here on in. Just accept our lot and come to terms with the fact we aren't growing the population as we don't want people to come and visit and just increase taxes to make up the budget shortfall.

Edited by Lxxx

59 minutes ago, Lxxx said:

So we should fold any attempt we have at tourism from here on in. Just accept our lot and come to terms with the fact we aren't growing the population as we don't want people to come and visit and just increase taxes to make up the budget shortfall.

No, we should encourage people that are claiming to be changing the world with their climate policies to attend seminars without generating additional c02.  

The budget shortfall is caused by massive government overspend and a huge pension Ponzi scheme that demands increasing numbers of new entrants to service the existing ones.

5 hours ago, cissolt said:

No, we should encourage people that are claiming to be changing the world with their climate policies to attend seminars without generating additional c02.  

The budget shortfall is caused by massive government overspend and a huge pension Ponzi scheme that demands increasing numbers of new entrants to service the existing ones.

Of course it is. But let's not pretend a dozen anoraks visiting is going to make the slightest bit of difference to the climate. 

Edited by Lxxx
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Lxxx said:

We should fold the anorak tourism offering, yes. Because we won't be growing the population because it's shit. 

The £8.5m wasted on anorak tourism could do a lot to make the island a more attractive place. 

We could literally give 1,000 people £8,500 each to move here every year. 

I see the latest BV sock puppet has been given his lines to read.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/doi-minister-apologises-for-bus-disruption/

Apparently they're being "proactive" in recruiting new drivers. You've got to wonder at the intellect of these people sometimes.

*Government own and run a Job Centre and its associated website. 

*Government own and run a bus company which currently has several busses with nobody to drive them.

*Government own a (brand new multi-million pound) test centre and employ the driving examiners who test   new bus drivers.

*To have bus lessons and a test as a private individual with the one private training bus on the island is   prohibitively expensive for most people. 

*Bus services have been being cancelled in their droves for months and still are.

Ah well at least they're being proactive. 

TRAIN SOME NEW BUS DRIVER'S YOU MORON! Not a single add for trainee bus drivers, not one. You're pretty much the only bus company on the island! Where do you think these ready made bus drivers are going to come from FFS?

It really wouldn't surprise me if this is part of their bollocks to attract 15K more people. It really does beggar belif.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

I see the latest BV sock puppet has been given his lines to read.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/doi-minister-apologises-for-bus-disruption/

Apparently they're being "proactive" in recruiting new drivers. You've got to wonder at the intellect of these people sometimes.

*Government own and run a Job Centre and its associated website. 

*Government own and run a bus company which currently has several busses with nobody to drive them.

Yet strangely a quick search of the Job Centre listings reveals the sum total of zero vacancies at Bus Vannin in amongst all the jobs listed for taxi & HGV drivers with private businesses. Are they testing telepathy as their chosen recruitment method? 

• Like 2

Just now, BriT said:

Yet strangely a quick search of the Job Centre listings reveals the sum total of zero vacancies at Bus Vannin in amongst all the jobs listed for taxi & HGV drivers with private businesses. Are they testing telepathy as their chosen recruitment method? 

Very true although they have advertised recently.

I know several people who would jump at the opportunity to train as a bus driver. Two of them are already HGV drivers and another one is a professional driver. All are competent car drivers.

BV could have had most of them fully trained by now, it would only have taken a few weeks in most cases, they already have all the equipment and expertise to do it.

To say they're being proactive in recruiting is just their latest bullshit, which Chris Thomas seems to have swallowed far too easily.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Very true although they have advertised recently.

I know several people who would jump at the opportunity to train as a bus driver. Two of them are already HGV drivers and another one is a professional driver. All are competent car drivers.

I know that as I myself fancied applying but I can’t find out where. I went on the job centre listings and nothing was on there at all which is where everyone looking for a job goes. I looked on the .gov website and fuck knows how you find jobs on there. From what I can see there are no jobs being advertised that you can apply for. So no wonder they’re not getting many applicants.

Maybe Chris Thomas could post a link to where they are advertised? 

Edited by BriT
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, kevster said:

I saw a bus with 'driver training' on it's destination board this afternoon heading south on Brown Cow Hill

Probably an existing DOI member of staff, I think they've offered some of them training.

Stick an ad in the job centre though offering paid bus driver training, they'd have their ten or more trainees within a month, if they chose carefully they'd all be through in a couple more months, problem solved.

It's really not difficult.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1