Bus Vannin in Crisis

0bserver

Highlights of the job...

"Salary: £12.60 - £14.17 per hour"

"Our services operate from 04:30am to 01:30am across seven days of the week, so you will need to be flexible about your working hours. Operations run from Ramsey, Douglas and Port Erin, and you could be offered work at all of these locations."

"Casual work generally involves only 24 hours’ notice of any shift. We are under no obligation to offer you any work, and you are under no obligation to accept any work offered to you."  

Zero Hours Contracts are beginning to bite them in the backside at last, they thought that they were the answer to everything. Perhaps we'll see a change in attitudes?

Edited by Max Power
  • Like 4

54 minutes ago, BriT said:

Thanks

1. What is job train and where do you find it? 

2. That seems to be one zero hours job. They said they had 10 vacancies. 

Jobtrain is the Govt's "preferred" (or even contracted) recruitment agency for most, if not all Govt vacancies (unless you're a mate). A lengthy process usually too. Some say it's a major deterrent to application.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Non-Believer said:

Jobtrain is the Govt's "preferred" (or even contracted) recruitment agency for most, if not all Govt vacancies (unless you're a mate). A lengthy process usually too. Some say it's a major deterrent to application.

Can I ask how do you find it? I’ve actively tried to find these jobs via all the obvious outlets (job centre etc’) and couldn’t. 

11 minutes ago, BriT said:

Can I ask how do you find it? I’ve actively tried to find these jobs via all the obvious outlets (job centre etc’) and couldn’t. 

Clicking on the link on the vacancy on the DED/DfE jobs website usually takes you into the process?

What they should do is host a bus driving experience day at Jurby, a lot of people like the idea of driving a bus, but the reality is actually very different, it’s a really shit job and with the responsibility involved it’s really not worth £14 an hour, you have to really want to do that job. Most would find it cheaper going into construction, getting machinery tickets and earn more per hour. Driving a class 1 hgv is far easier than driving a bus and you’d earn similar money too.

• Like 2

Not so many years ago it was Govt's ambition to have a "high value, high pay" economy.

Now Govt leads the way in low pay, low terms employment offers across many of its operations.

How times have changed.

• Like 9

55 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Not so many years ago it was Govt's ambition to have a "high value, high pay" economy.

Now Govt leads the way in low pay, low terms employment offers across many of its operations.

How times have changed.

Ahhhh but they never had this big debt hanging over them and not a scooby how to pay it. The good old empty pension pot ! Wonder how thats accumlating recently 

3 hours ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Again for fully qualified bus drivers, a zero hours contract. 

I wonder why people aren't paying the significant price to train in order to qualify with a possibility of a zero hours contract?

As far as I can tell, nobody is paying to train as a bus driver.  Moorhouse (inevitably) asked in MayWhat the total cost of training bus drivers is; how many were trained in each of the last five years; and how many of these are still working for Bus Vannin.

Crookall replied:

The total cost of training bus drivers over the last five years is £41,332.

In 2017, 16 drivers were trained; in 2018, 15 drivers were trained; in 2019, it was 24 drivers; in 2020, it was 27 drivers; in 2021, it was 19 drivers; and so far this year it has been seven.

Of the total of 108 drivers who have been trained over the last five years, a total of 29 have left Bus Vannin; 18 of these were casual drivers and 11 were permanent – leaving 79 of those still with us.

From supplementaries, all training and testing is done internally. It would have been pertinent to also ask what the casual/permanent split was among those who remained.  Although the numbers trained looks good, if those new drivers are mostly casuals, working a few hours when it suits, maybe extra to another full-time job, then they're not going to help much.

There was also an interesting remark from a certain Mr Thomas:

The Bus Vannin management keeps training – and in fact everything else about HR – very close
to itself. Does the Minister agree with me it might be helpful to include Bus Vannin in wider Public
Services Commission Government processes?

Though you could also argue that HR is an area the government is mismanaging even worse than the buses.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

As it has been stated earlier, its as if they are trying there best to dissuade local applicants. Have they not learnt that the zero hours policy they are still pushing is still mot working. Would you suppose there may be an advertisement for 15  full time bus drivers at £21.30p/h and garentee'd   overtime, with an extensive relocation package (a free house)  even as we speak, on the wall of local job centres in the northwest. Or more likely down south, where a local might not spot it so easily. And thus forfilling 0.1% of the relocate figures. 

Edited by Dirty Buggane

25 minutes ago, Dirty Buggane said:

As it has been stated earlier, its as if they are trying there best to dissuade local applicants. Have they not learnt that the zero hours policy they are still pushing is still mot working. Would you suppose there may be an advertisement for 15  full time bus drivers at £21.30p/h and garentee'd   overtime, with an extensive relocation package (a free house)  even as we speak, on the wall of local job centres in the northwest. Or more likely down south, where a local might not spot it so easily. And thus forfilling 0.1% of the relocate figures. 

I agree, but from a slightly different angle. The current advert for casual bus drivers states pay of £12.60-£14.17 p/h. So, in reality probably £12.60 p/h. So, for that you are expected to turn up at all hours, drive a large passenger carrying vehicle and be responsible for the safety of what..56 passengers? Taking the odd piece of abuse for good measure.

In contrast, you can go work in KFC for £11.50 p/h on guaranteed shifts and get a free lunch every day.

Go figure.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Manx Bean said:

I agree, but from a slightly different angle. The current advert for casual bus drivers states pay of £12.60-£14.17 p/h. So, in reality probably £12.60 p/h. So, for that you are expected to turn up at all hours, drive a large passenger carrying vehicle and be responsible for the safety of what..56 passengers? Taking the odd piece of abuse for good measure.

In contrast, you can go work in KFC for £11.50 p/h on guaranteed shifts and get a free lunch every day.

Go figure.

Or B&Q for £12.50 an hour again with agreed shifts. I’m glad that these ads have now been found but honestly the terms and conditions are shit. £12.60 an hour to be up at 4:00AM in the morning driving a bus with only 24 hours notice. No wonder nobody is interested even if they can find the job listings. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, BriT said:

Or B&Q for £12.50 an hour again with agreed shifts. I’m glad that these ads have now been found but honestly the terms and conditions are shit. £12.60 an hour to be up at 4:00AM in the morning driving a bus with only 24 hours notice. No wonder nobody is interested even if they can find the job listings. 

24hrs notice is generous compared with some of these ZHC terms/employers. I've heard of people being called in at less than a couple of hour's notice on occasions with the employer then getting shirty if the "offer" is declined and "overlooking" the employee concerned on the next occasion. They forget that ZHC works both ways.

• Thanks 1