Bus Vannin in Crisis

0bserver

2 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

...and the highest salaries in government on average. Eye watering salaries in there.

ETA: Numerous > £250k

Highest paid as far as I am aware is the head of FSA    but the numbers on £100,000 plus are at record levels , and is anyone monitoring performance or value for money  NO ! Medical consultants should not be included , because the UK body determines pay , but how many have retired and come back on the bank , no responsibility but mega Bucks  and no unsocial hours , time someone n government was carrying out a study into value for money , they used to have a special committee that monitored this ,

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Omobono said:

Highest paid as far as I am aware is the head of FSA    but the numbers on £100,000 plus are at record levels , and is anyone monitoring performance or value for money  NO ! Medical consultants should not be included , because the UK body determines pay , but how many have retired and come back on the bank , no responsibility but mega Bucks  and no unsocial hours , time someone n government was carrying out a study into value for money , they used to have a special committee that monitored this ,

A question was asked in Keys or Tynwald - can’t remember which, regarding performance review and accountability of chief officers/CEOs. CabO minister admitted it needed work and improvements were in progress for performance related assessment and transparency. Not sure if it will make a difference but nice to see this challenged. 

13 hours ago, finlo said:

Isn't the AG's staff something like 180 staff and rising?

12 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

...and the highest salaries in government on average. Eye watering salaries in there.

A bit exaggerated.  There were some FoI requests last year and I reckon there were 89 people in the AG's Department then (end March).  Most were on high fairly high salaries, but the FoI reply was deliberately unhelpful and requires cross-referencing to other documents and there were special adjustments to give them more money.

I doubt any will be over £250k but we do know both Attorney General and Solicitor General were on  £178,228 each.  For comparison the Lord Advocate, the AG's Scottish equivalent is on £127,765.  I suppose Scotland is a much smaller country.

13 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Only high salaried for the AG, SG and DP. And nothing like £250k. Prosecutors and civil law advocates seem to be on a scale of £50-80k, less than Manx private practice, but much more than in England.

There are quite a few civilian staff, who are on CS pay scales anyway.

19 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Only high salaried for the AG, SG and DP. And nothing like £250k. Prosecutors and civil law advocates seem to be on a scale of £50-80k, less than Manx private practice, but much more than in England.

There are quite a few civilian staff, who are on CS pay scales anyway.

the difference being , shit in private sector = not much work, poor income  vs shit in government = still not much work , job for life,  good income.

15 minutes ago, WTF said:

the difference being , shit in private sector = not much work, poor income  vs shit in government = still not much work , job for life,  good income.

I think the drivers are

Perception of 9-5. My chats with prosecutors indicate that not to be true plus they’re all on an out of hours and weekend on call rota to advise police about sufficiency of evidence and charging advice.

No management involvement 

Lack of need to invest in business and develop

Pension entitlement 

For some it’s a career path move. There are several who have moved in and out of the AG’s. Perhaps they had a no competition clause in their private employment/partnership and the AG’s was a convenient stop gap.

50 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

Maybe they’re hoping to capture some tourists in the data to bump it up a bit if they extend to end of March? 

They can just use the same calculating methodology as they use for the heritage railways.

4 hours ago, 0bserver said:

Not sure if anyone else has mentioned this already, but it seems like Bus Vannin had partnered with Manx Care to give passengers a free eye test. The destination signs are tiny now - thought I'd been drinking more than I had last night!

Try covering one eye. Works for me.

Didn't realise Madri Excepcional was that good...

On 1/28/2023 at 9:57 PM, Non-Believer said:

The only time he should be heard on public media is when he's being torn to pieces by a good investigative journalist (of which we have none) getting some answers about and reminding the public about just some of what he inflicted on the Island's taxpayers during his time in politics.

Let's start with increased farmer's handouts on the basis of the population starving without, move on to Douglas Promenade redevelopment and the bag of bollocks about why it was necessary and then on to the Liverpool Terminal undertaking at a proposed £3M.

Also the SPCO tender process for other interested parties, which was imo engineered so that no one could express interest in the time scales outlined !

On 1/30/2023 at 1:27 PM, offshoremanxman said:

It was on the radio at lunchtime. Thomas has admitted there has been a slight increase in bus users but not much. Can’t see much willingness for them to re visit it after March because let’s face it even if the buses were free hardly anyone else would use them as it’s not the price that’s the issue. It’s the schedule and the restrictions. Maybe they’re hoping to capture some tourists in the data to bump it up a bit if they extend to end of March? 

Just reduce all fares by 10% and see if people use the buses then.

And maybe "Round for a Pound' in Douglas and Onchan.

Edited by Moghrey Mie
  • Like 1