Bus Vannin in Crisis

0bserver

1 hour ago, Moghrey Mie said:

Just reduce all fares and see if people use the buses then.

But that’s what they have done and they’ve seen no real uptick in usage so they should just knock it on the head. The reason why people don’t use buses anymore isn’t down to cost. It’s down to a poor schedule and the lack of a properly integrated service. 

Edited by offshoremanxman
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

25 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

But that’s what they have done and they’ve seen no real uptick in usage so they should just knock it on the head. The reason why people don’t use buses anymore isn’t down to cost. It’s down to a poor schedule and the lack of a properly integrated service. 

People don't use the buses because they're a bit shit, not because they're expensive. 

It's fine if you live right on one of the main roads they frequently serve, but other areas have almost no service on a Sunday or after 5pm a lot of the time. 

If you need a car for evenings and weekends them you may as well use it the rest of the time. 

We would bankrupt the island trying to serve every single part of the island with a 20 minute service from 0500-0000.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 0bserver said:

We would bankrupt the island trying to serve every single part of the island with a 20 minute service from 0500-0000.

I was down in Jersey a few months ago. The buses there seem better used (ie, generally fuller) but then the tracking app is well managed and they have a nice indoor bus station but still the service is only to the main conurbations. As you say if you have a car it’s just easier to use a car. That’s always going to be the case on a small island. We did away with the Douglas tram cars in the 1900s and we did away with the steam train routes in the 1960s. There’s little left of integrated mass transport. 

In contrast if you look at Hong Kong’s 120 year old tramway it still moves 200,000 people a day on an established route in a city of 8M residents. We just don’t have the numbers for anything viable.

https://www.traveldailymedia.com/hong-kongs-tram-creates-record-for-operating-worlds-largest-double-decker-fleet/

2 hours ago, offshoremanxman said:

Just look at the state of the main 'terminals'. If they aren't Victorian then there aren't any. Lord Street*, where are the nearest public toilets? Sea Terminal? They had to take over part of Lord St (former)Police Station to give the drivers somewhere to go. Banks Circus you might get to use the Railway Station if its open. Ramsey depot is an eyesore.

For most people, public transport is just not a viable option. It needs a root and branch reform, starting with the hubs and looking at smaller but more frequent services on fixed spacing like 20 minute or 30 minute between 7am to 7pm and running on circular routes. Organise it so there is always a bus at the hub which departs as soon as the next one arrives.

That way you can get on your bus to wait and it can leave bang on time. Do as they do on the Tube and have a sign at each sheltered stop "next bus in 10 minutes". 

*https://www.imuseum.im/search/collections/archive/mnh-museum-688487.html It may not have been pretty but it was at least functional.

21 years and counting since they demolished it.

https://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/politics/lord-street-to-be-done-by-may-2023-236211 => running a bit behind then.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, CallMeCurious said:

Just look at the state of the main 'terminals'. If they aren't Victorian then there aren't any. Lord Street*, where are the nearest public toilets? Sea Terminal? They had to take over part of Lord St (former)Police Station to give the drivers somewhere to go. Banks Circus you might get to use the Railway Station if its open. Ramsey depot is an eyesore.

It’s not just Ramsey. As I said I was in Jersey recently. Liberation Sq bus station is nice, and under cover, and has facilities. Quite why after 20 years we still have a total shithole of a main bus station in Douglas with B&Q trellis on a rotten carpark is beyond me. It’s third world. 

• Like 2

I work in hospitality (in the Capital "city"). There are hardly any buses to accommodate those of us that work different hours to whoever decides when the buses should "run". I see colleagues finishing just after 9:30pm, having to wait for the next bus at 10:30pm. To Onchan!!! I prefer walking along a dead promenade, of a Capital "city" dying on it's arse.

• Like 1

What ever happened to the uber integrated bus and electric tram terminal at Ramsey? It's been going since before 2015 so at least 8 years and counting. Maybe we are waiting for China to bring a new quarry on line?

https://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/politics/money-for-the-tram-station-but-what-about-the-bus-station-566211

I'm curious to see how a bus depot will work on Albert Road/Waterloo Road.  Even fewer parking spaces left between the West Quay project and this one.

image.thumb.png.6b26f2081bbe7728ecd4e53c41fb622d.png

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CallMeCurious said:

What ever happened to the uber integrated bus and electric tram terminal at Ramsey? It's been going since before 2015 so at least 8 years and counting. Maybe we are waiting for China to bring a new quarry on line?

https://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/politics/money-for-the-tram-station-but-what-about-the-bus-station-566211

I'm curious to see how a bus depot will work on Albert Road/Waterloo Road.  Even fewer parking spaces left between the West Quay project and this one.

image.thumb.png.6b26f2081bbe7728ecd4e53c41fb622d.png

I stand to be corrected on this but I think Longworth's brainstorm to incorporate bringing the trams into the Peel St end of Parliament St as part of it saw it put onto the backburner.

9 hours ago, majkul said:

I work in hospitality (in the Capital "city"). There are hardly any buses to accommodate those of us that work different hours to whoever decides when the buses should "run". I see colleagues finishing just after 9:30pm, having to wait for the next bus at 10:30pm. To Onchan!!! I prefer walking along a dead promenade, of a Capital "city" dying on it's arse.

Just change working hours to finish in time to get a bus !

1 minute ago, Banker said:

Most employers are flexible particularly when there’s a demand for hospitality staff

That’s literally nonsense. You think anyone’s going to let someone stop serving tables at 8:30 because they have a bus to catch at 8:45? Yes just go early I own the restaurant but I’ll cover the last hour and a half for you. No worries! Do you actually live in the real world or do you just log on here to start pointless arguments with people based on made of things you say?

• Like 4
  • Haha 1