Bus Vannin in Crisis

0bserver

2 hours ago, Passing Time said:

What was the end result of testing these on Island roads?

Testing the bendy buses? They were too long to fit in the bus stops, causing traffic problems, and the ones that were tested here had too few seats, meaning the little darlings on the school runs would have to stand, and that was deemed dangerous. 

2 hours ago, 0bserver said:

but there's loads of buses driving around on private hire work for cruise passengers.

I have a comment that might indicate the thinking of the management. Some years ago I worked for a few seasons on the MER. The cruise ships had passenger excursions booked on the MER, but instead of using an extra tram they were put onto a scheduled service.

When the tram arrived at Derby Castle the crews were instructed to block ordinary passengers with ordinary tickets from boarding until the cruise ships passengers were loaded.  If there was no space remaining for the ordinary passengers, they got left behind.

22 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

I have a comment that might indicate the thinking of the management. Some years ago I worked for a few seasons on the MER. The cruise ships had passenger excursions booked on the MER, but instead of using an extra tram they were put onto a scheduled service.

When the tram arrived at Derby Castle the crews were instructed to block ordinary passengers with ordinary tickets from boarding until the cruise ships passengers were loaded.  If there was no space remaining for the ordinary passengers, they got left behind.

Yes, an all too common occurrence as they massage the figures and bump them up with cruise ship passengers.

2 hours ago, 0bserver said:

The island's so-called bus service is in absolute meltdown today. Over 37 buses cancelled... but there's loads of buses driving around on private hire work for cruise passengers.

Screenshot_20220515-163358_Facebook.jpg

That's funny because only 12 days ago in a supplementary to a Keys question Moorhouse asked

In terms of customers, how are they actually prioritised? Is there a system in place to state which are the key customers from the perspective of Bus Vannin? Is it the ordinary, everyday users? Is it the cruise ship users? Is it the TT visitors?

And Crookall replied:

Regarding key customers, absolutely first and foremost is the public-scheduled service and the school services; and then it becomes cruise liners or any other private parties that Bus Vannin are 765 asked to look at and price for. But the public service and the schools are first and foremost.

Could Tim have been lying to us (or someone lying to Tim)?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Boris Johnson said:

Why are BV doing this? Why not private coaches?

How many private coaches are left? Not very many. You used to see them all over the place. Now you hardly see any I presume because Bus Vannin is prepared to do work for almost nothing just to keep up the presence that their vehicles are being used. 

• Like 1