Bus Vannin in Crisis

0bserver

10 hours ago, offshoremanxman said:

In contrast if you look at Hong Kong’s 120 year old tramway it still moves 200,000 people a day on an established route in a city of 8M residents. We just don’t have the numbers for anything viable.

https://www.traveldailymedia.com/hong-kongs-tram-creates-record-for-operating-worlds-largest-double-decker-fleet/

200,000 is 2.5% of their 8m population so if Bus Vannin carries 2,150 people a day then we're doing as good as Hong Kong. 

I know most of their buses are empty but surely they must at least carry 2,150 people each day? 

48 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

200,000 is 2.5% of their 8m population so if Bus Vannin carries 2,150 people a day then we're doing as good as Hong Kong. 

I know most of their buses are empty but surely they must at least carry 2,150 people each day? 

That is one tram route in HK. So equate that with one bus route in the IOM. Then you might get a fair comparison.

https://citytransit.uitp.org/hong-kong/average-daily-ridership-during-a-work-day

Over 8.5m journeys per day on public transport so over 100% of population moved (or 50% making retrun journeys). And 50% of that is by bus so do you think the IOM moves 40k a day? A month? A year?

Just for comparison https://www.gov.im/news/2017/jul/03/record-tt-passenger-figures-for-bus-vannin/

The busiest day during TT 2017 was Tuesday 6 June when 18,000 people travelled by bus.

So on the busiest day including TT (pre-Covid) was 18,000 people, or about 21%.

I doubt we get a 1/4 of that on a normal day.

7 minutes ago, CallMeCurious said:

That is one tram route in HK. So equate that with one bus route in the IOM. Then you might get a fair comparison.

https://citytransit.uitp.org/hong-kong/average-daily-ridership-during-a-work-day

Over 8.5m journeys per day on public transport so over 100% of population moved (or 50% making retrun journeys). And 50% of that is by bus so do you think the IOM moves 40k a day? A month? A year?

Just for comparison https://www.gov.im/news/2017/jul/03/record-tt-passenger-figures-for-bus-vannin/

The busiest day during TT 2017 was Tuesday 6 June when 18,000 people travelled by bus.

So on the busiest day including TT (pre-Covid) was 18,000 people, or about 21%.

I doubt we get a 1/4 of that on a normal day.

HK is a stupid comparison as roads in HK are not really conducive to millions driving in every day plus limited car parking. Issue with IOM is that lots would rather drive their car on own pollute air , pay for fuel & parking than get the bus, then whine about cost of living when they could save a fortune by using bus!! See the hordes coming over mountain, from south, peel every day 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 0bserver said:

It’s a tramway not a bus company so I’d suggest there is no comparison to BV at all. HK presumably has buses as well which move an additional number of workers everyday like BV. 

Just now, Banker said:

HK is a stupid comparison as roads in HK are not really conducive to millions driving in every day plus limited car parking. Issue with IOM is that lots would rather drive their car on own pollute air , pay for fuel & parking than get the bus, then whine about cost of living when they could save a fortune by using bus!! See the hordes coming over mountain, from south, peel every day 

So by that argument our roads obviously ARE conducive to thousands driving every day. And our buses are not conducive as evidenced by the willingness for many people to put up with the costs, the road conditions and supposed anxiety about climate change. After all everyone moans about the weather but never emigrate.

Free market, free choice. Convenience over centralist top down dictats.

Our current policy seems to be keep making driving and parking more and more difficult rather than provide a service that IS conducive to making a postive change. However, with the likes of out of town business parks & Amazon et al, there is a 3rd alternative to coming into town and spending money when it seems those in power want to make it harder and harder to do so.

Find it ironic some bemoan people trying to earn a living causing pollution, the very people who were 'essential' not so long ago and yet persist in inviting and enabling literally tens of thousands to do the same twice a year for 'fun'. Odd that. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CallMeCurious said:

So by that argument our roads obviously ARE conducive to thousands driving every day. And our buses are not conducive as evidenced by the willingness for many people to put up with the costs, the road conditions and supposed anxiety about climate change. After all everyone moans about the weather but never emigrate.

Free market, free choice. Convenience over centralist top down dictats.

Our current policy seems to be keep making driving and parking more and more difficult rather than provide a service that IS conducive to making a postive change. However, with the likes of out of town business parks & Amazon et al, there is a 3rd alternative to coming into town and spending money when it seems those in power want to make it harder and harder to do so.

Find it ironic some bemoan people trying to earn a living causing pollution, the very people who were 'essential' not so long ago and yet persist in inviting and enabling literally tens of thousands to do the same twice a year for 'fun'. Odd that. 

I use the bus & find them very comfortable & schedules fine, it’s just a lifestyle choice for many including younger workers to drive at any cost!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Banker said:

Just change working hours to finish in time to get a bus !

Yes, I'm sure my boss will be very understanding, when I say I don't want to serve more drinks or desserts, so the customers leave a bit earlier, and I can get the bus. In fact, I'll mention that to him tonight, see how it goes. 

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, majkul said:

Yes, I'm sure my boss will be very understanding, when I say I don't want to serve more drinks or desserts, so the customers leave a bit earlier, and I can get the bus. In fact, I'll mention that to him tonight, see how it goes. 

Change it to later as you said staff were finishing at 9.30 pm & waiting an hour for 10.30 pm bus or did you just make it up?

No, I did not make it up. One of my colleagues finishes before me, as I always stay with the last customers (she lives in Onchan, gets the bus. I live in Douglas, so I tend to walk home along the dead, unfinished promenade). Unlike banks (and other businesses), most restaurants are establishments that do not ask customers to leave, because it is time to close. Us waiters are a bit more courteous than bankers.

58 minutes ago, Banker said:

Change it to later as you said staff were finishing at 9.30 pm & waiting an hour for 10.30 pm bus or did you just make it up?

1 hour ago, Banker said:

Bus timetable are freely available, if you want to dispute the facts.

They show buses to the North are hourly from 20.10 and to the West hourly from 20.07.

Edited to add:  They are half-hourly to Onchan till 22.21 and to the South till 22.20 and then a longer gap till the last bus.  No doubt you don't expect a restaurant to throw customers out by 10 pm.

Edited by Roger Mexico

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

Bus timetable are freely available, if you want to dispute the facts.

They show buses to the North are hourly from 20.10 and to the West hourly from 20.07.

Edited to add:  They are half-hourly to Onchan till 22.21 and to the South till 22.20 and then a longer gap till the last bus.  No doubt you don't expect a restaurant to throw customers out by 10 pm.

Ok so the staff members who finished at 21.30 wouldn’t be waiting until 22.30 for a bus as claimed 

2 minutes ago, Banker said:

Ok so the staff members who finished at 21.30 wouldn’t be waiting until 22.30 for a bus as claimed 

Depends where they were going.  It's also worth pointing this is the latest timetable and it may have been different in the recent past -  certainly at one time there used to be a bad gap in the buses going South from about 21.40 till 22.50 or so.  Whether it was the same to Onchan I don't know.

31 minutes ago, Banker said:

It's what she said she was doing last week, waiting for a 10:30pm bus to Onchan, at 9:40pm. In the end, our boss gave her a lift home (he is not always around to do so). I always end up walking, as I know for sure no buses go my way at the time I finish work. Before you ask why does she finish before me all the time... she has a young kid at home, I assume she has to wake up each morning because of school. My kids are past school age, so I don't mind staying a bit later each night.

Anyway, I don't know why I'm explaining all this to you. All you seem to do in here is try to belittle people and assume they are wrong all the time, on each thread. Oh, and you use the "confused" emoji far too often, in my opinion.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, offshoremanxman said:

But that’s what they have done and they’ve seen no real uptick in usage so they should just knock it on the head. The reason why people don’t use buses anymore isn’t down to cost. It’s down to a poor schedule and the lack of a properly integrated service. 

Most fares are under £2 already.

• 2 weeks later...