Bus Vannin in Crisis

0bserver

19 minutes ago, Mouthpiece said:

Nobody in the trade would agree that point. You call up and book a ride. But because it is government it magically isn’t a taxi service. Anyone else running that type of service would need a private hire license 😂 You can’t get a taxi up north now as there is no business to be had because of BV. Another private hire firm due to go too according to rumours specifically from being under cut by a taxpayer funded service. 

it reminds me of the MEA appliance shops situation.

Edited by Pipsqueak
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Two-lane said:

"We offer a door to door service and can pick you up from your front door"

I know you did, and it’s PR fluffery to disguise what DRT really is- a way of saving money by not running scheduled bus services.

In reality it’s “would you mind waiting at the end of the road” and it’s “we don’t have any buses at 9am, can you do half ten?”.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

There is one of these app things to book a cheap ride - MannGo. I thought I would take a look - there is a link to Google Play, but it is dead. The link to Apple Store is still there.

So that is a bit ironic. The connect villages was set up because people up north cannot afford a taxi, but the app only runs on expensive iPhones.

I know people could make a phone call or maybe send a telegram, but nevertheless, I do have the right to make sarcastic comments.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I had cause to use the patient transport when I had a really bad accident and had to stay in a wheelchair they have modified some of the busses so the wheel chair can go up a ramp at the back and and be tethered with occupant in it for the journey.    I have yet to see a taxi that can do that in fact there is always difficulty getting a taxi that accommodates wheel chairs.    It is an absolute nonsense to compare taxis with these busses, they are a lifeline for some people, the taxi trade is on demand, door to door, when you want it be it when 1886 closes or the early boat and you pay for it quite rightly.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, Mouthpiece said:

See my first post. You can’t get a taxi up north as no taxi can make a living with Bus Vannin providing a £2 taxi service into Ramsey and it’s rumoured another company now is selling and/or will be shutting up shop due to very little work being about because it’s largely been taken by a taxpayer funded carrier that will literally do work for free. 

methinks you talk twaddle...

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Fred the shred said:

I had cause to use the patient transport when I had a really bad accident and had to stay in a wheelchair they have modified some of the busses so the wheel chair can go up a ramp at the back and and be tethered with occupant in it for the journey.    I have yet to see a taxi that can do that in fact there is always difficulty getting a taxi that accommodates wheel chairs.    It is an absolute nonsense to compare taxis with these busses, they are a lifeline for some people, the taxi trade is on demand, door to door, when you want it be it when 1886 closes or the early boat and you pay for it quite rightly.

Even when I lived on the rock there was one taxi firm in the North that had one of those small vans with a wheelchair winch/ ramp 

I am talking around 2015-7 so they were available then but now, not so much from what I can gather from family still on the island and it looks like a totally unfair competition

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Pipsqueak said:

it reminds me of the MEA appliance shops situation.

Or the post office versus couriers on packages. They never used to be interested, but suddenly as letter post died, they started undercutting the private businesses. Have some friends in that line who weren't happy. "Paying taxes so that they can undercut us by using our money to subsidise it."