Covid support scheme results go live

Bandits

I also note the Comis being paid some £205k for each of the periods on the strategic capacity scheme.

Is this in addition to the boatload they were paid for the prison service operating early on in COVID? Anyone remember that?

31 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

I also note the Comis being paid some £205k for each of the periods on the strategic capacity scheme.

Is this in addition to the boatload they were paid for the prison service operating early on in COVID? Anyone remember that?

The one that got me was the Trevelyan Hotel. How did such a complete dump miss over £150K in bookings?

Edited by Bandits
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, forestboy said:

Taxpayers well and truly ripped off. 

Do you really think so? We would have had mass unemployment and business failures if compensation had not been given. Most of the support was ok, worst scheme by far was the strategic capacity scheme for hotels. Largely because - you got a rate based on the number of rooms you had and they still paid you to pay your staff through the salary support scheme as well. So you ended up with basically a free business as your turnover stayed give or take the same and your wages bill was covered creating the best P&L going. Big dividends all round!

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Boris Johnson said:

There is nothing the Manx hate more than thinking someone else has made a few quid....................................... 🙂

It’s always seems to revolve around the hotel sector too. Many remember all those nice bungalows that were built up at the Strang on the back of all the tourism improvement grants they handed out to do up run down guest houses in advance of IOM Millennium Year. 

1 hour ago, Last Ten said:

This topic will have some mileage.

Look at the Salary Support Scheme 78.7 million quid in total with Airbase Flight Support claiming £1,451,263 and others claiming over a million quid.

Isn't that Menzies? That's bloody bonkers.

Why were hotels entitled to strategic capacity AND salary support? Surely the idea of paying them what they would have received for a full hotel would normally cover salaries...?

Edited by NoTailT
  • Like 5

Other highlight ones in salary support:

Black Grace Cowely... £212k? Weren't estate agents having a goddamn boom during COVID?

Comis £395k in addition to the eyewatering strategic capacity payments PLUS the prison payments. Same with Sleepwell and Sefton. Mega amounts of salary support on top of the strategic capacity payments (£1m+ each there).

Graylaw International Freight Group Ltd £125k - weren't courier and delivery firms also experiencing massive booms during COVID?

Isle of Man Advertising and PR £80k - surely the COVID briefings and all that jazz kept James and co paid well?

KWC fuck me £1,222,425. Did parents stop paying fees? Did education come to a halt? I think not.

Manx Independent Carriers Ltd £104k same as Graylaw...

• Like 3