Covid support scheme results go live

Bandits

13 minutes ago, Banker said:

That’s my understanding as he attends all Comin & is responsible for ensuring everything is run in accordance with governance 

I have been trying to find what the role is in relation to CoMin and other than being the head of the civil service, can't find who has that responsibility.  The AG also attends as does a Secretary.  Will keep digging. 

11 hours ago, Nellie said:

As I said on another thread, a few days ago, we live in a form of Kleptocracy, just like the Russians. Noses in the trough at every opportunity. Only most of our lot are too thick (Skelly being the Thicko-in -Chief) to even be embarrassed about it. 

Why would they be embarrassed - this lot think they are above the likes of you and I and can flaunt the rules to suit themselves. Once again, nothing will be done about it and lessons may be learned. The whole sorry system is rotten to the core and joe public continues to pick up the tab for their follies

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gladys said:

I have been trying to find what the role is in relation to CoMin and other than being the head of the civil service, can't find who has that responsibility.  The AG also attends as does a Secretary.  Will keep digging. 

Our elected are very quiet about all this! Howard definitely said he had excused himself from all relevant meetings.

Who polices this shower? We can't trust the AG or Will green how to do anything as was seen during the lockdown shenanigans

• Like 1

Well main role is listed as

The Chief Secretary’s principal role is to provide impartial policy and management advice to the Chief Minister and the Council of Ministers; to provide impartial advice to the Lieutenant Governor; and to provide effective leadership of the Isle of Man Public Service and the Cabinet Office.

So advice on what’s correct at Comin meetings is key part of his function. Advice on legal matters would be AG

17 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

So much for an MHK being a full time job!

No wonder Daffy gets stressed at people emailing her of an evening.

A salaried quiz master?  Are they trading as the outback bar? 

Ashford was a director of walkabout limited trading as the outback as his previous members interests show.  

4 hours ago, Banker said:

Well main role is listed as

The Chief Secretary’s principal role is to provide impartial policy and management advice to the Chief Minister and the Council of Ministers; to provide impartial advice to the Lieutenant Governor; and to provide effective leadership of the Isle of Man Public Service and the Cabinet Office.

So advice on what’s correct at Comin meetings is key part of his function. Advice on legal matters would be AG

It's procedural and governance advice that would be needed.  After a quick scan of the Ministerial Code, I couldn't see who ministers are advised to take such advice from, there must be someone, but I couldn't see it.  I will look again because if there is a code and set of guidelines, you would think someone would be given responsibility to understand them and assist CoMin in complying. 

21 hours ago, Bandits said:

Well Bakers activities need to perhaps be better investigated. The initial press report says he got around £46K in support.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/foi-reveals-extent-of-covid-support-given-to-businesses-linked-to-mhks/

But search for Buffalo, Surestrike and Pepsi Max across all the scheme PDFs on the DfE website you get to at least £80K. The salary support alone was over £56K. Which is fine as that goes straight to employees. The Winter disruption scheme was £35K on top plus other grants. So the press got it very wrong. 

The total across all schemes for just Pepsi Max Bowl is £138,415.51. 

1 minute ago, Fysseree said:

The total across all schemes for just Pepsi Max Bowl is £138,415.51. 

You have more patience than me then. Add Buffalo on top and it’s nearly £200K then. Shame our own press can’t be arsed researching anything before they publish a story. 

Interestingly, while there's the topic of Gradely Holdings (t/a the Outback), they received £42,734.45. 

Walkabout Limited, which the treasury minister was most recently a director of, received £52,741.18 (is Walkabout Ltd also the Outback?)

Edited by Fysseree
typo

4 minutes ago, Fysseree said:

Walkabout Limited, which the treasury minister was most recently a director of, received £52741.18 (is Walkabout Ltd also the Outback?)

Members interests register says his interest ceased in 2018. They have the same registered office at the Outback. 

Just now, Bandits said:

Members interests register says his interest ceased in 2018. They have the same registered office at the Outback. 

Manx radio have a soundclip of him claiming he is a salaried employee of Gradley holdings which now trades as the outback. As a former director of a business who is a current employee, I would dispute his claim that he is not an interested party and there is no conflict of interest

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

30 minutes ago, cissolt said:

Manx radio have a soundclip of him claiming he is a salaried employee of Gradley holdings which now trades as the outback. As a former director of a business who is a current employee, I would dispute his claim that he is not an interested party and there is no conflict of interest

The register is here

https://www.tynwald.org.im/memoff/interest/Lists/Interests/AllItems.aspx

But sorry yes just read the Manx Radio story here:

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/ashford-not-an-interested-party-in-company-that-received-covid-support/

If you’re paid a salary then yes I’d expect it to be declared too.  He has actually had his interest in Walkabout removed from the register in 2018 though. How can you not have an interest in a company (Gradely) if it’s actually paying you? That said it is declared on the register so why was his link not published in the original one about MHKs businesses? 

Edited by Bandits
  • Thanks 1