Pulrose Bridge

Bandits

Turning left to Pully from Peel Road, if they ever remove those random bollards, it's entirely possible a car could drive up and along the pavement/cycleway. 

Sometimes when I cycle to work I'll come in that way and the old bridge junction layout coming into town was absolutely fine because of the filter left and right turn.  There was plenty of room for bikes to between the traffic, get to the front and easily nip across the junction first to the existing cycleway on Peel road.   

At the junction to Middle River there is also a random semi-marked raised crossing.  Saw a couple of cars pretty much launch off it over the weekend.  

Some gravel and some lighting on the Nunnery path would surely have been more effective and useful. 

I suppose we're lucky we didn't get another Roundel. 

• Like 2

Notice someone got the steel work measurements wrong too, the railings on one side are too short so they have had to stick a bit of cheap fencing in at the end to fill the gap and stop people jumping off. Looks naff !!!

• Haha 2

On 5/9/2022 at 10:18 AM, The Phantom said:

Some gravel and some lighting on the Nunnery path would surely have been more effective and useful.

Absolutely agree, although I'm not sure how co-operative the Nunnery would have been given the ludicrous fencing they've recently been installing down there.

I don't see the point of the Pulrose Bridge cycle lane, but the comments on here about how "it'll cause a crash" terrify me. These people are driving cars.

59 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

Not going to be helped when KFC and Starbucks etc opening soon. 

I am amazed at the numbers of people doing U turns at the Quarter Bridge  obviously picked up the big mac  and want to get  back into town , but its a really dangerous thing to do,  and most of the time they couldn't  be bothered to give any kind of signal  other than the one finger when all the horns from the near misses start blowing ,

53 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

the comments on here about how "it'll cause a crash" terrify me. These people are driving cars

They're drivers so they're well placed to say what could be dangerous... same way an airline pilot would tell you about flight safety issues. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Omobono said:

I am amazed at the numbers of people doing U turns at the Quarter Bridge  obviously picked up the big mac  and want to get  back into town , but its a really dangerous thing to do,  and most of the time they couldn't  be bothered to give any kind of signal  other than the one finger when all the horns from the near misses start blowing ,

Rule 188

"Avoid making U-turns at mini-roundabouts. Beware of others doing this."

If they would make the Quarterbridge Roundabout into a roundel, then everyone could do what the hell they like.

I suppose part of the problem is that few Manx drivers have read that bit in the Highway Code about not driving over the white bits of a mini-roundabout.

1 hour ago, Ringy Rose said:

Absolutely agree, although I'm not sure how co-operative the Nunnery would have been given the ludicrous fencing they've recently been installing down there.

Really? Not been through there in a few weeks. Can you still ride through?

15 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

Rule 188

"Avoid making U-turns at mini-roundabouts. Beware of others doing this."

If they would make the Quarterbridge Roundabout into a roundel, then everyone could do what the hell they like.

I suppose part of the problem is that few Manx drivers have read that bit in the Highway Code about not driving over the white bits of a mini-roundabout.

Not driving over the white bits? If the white bits were located accurately then it would be possible to go round them.

Eurgh, I had another real look and consideration of the junction today. 

They have in fact made it worse than before. 

Now if you're on the new cycle lane, you'll have to use the pelican crossing to get across the junction if you're heading from Pully to Douglas, as you're now on the wrong side of the road to cross the junction with traffic.  You're not allowed to ride across a Pelican crossing, so now you're also going to have to dismount! 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Eurgh, I had another real look and consideration of the junction today. 

They have in fact made it worse than before. 

Now if you're on the new cycle lane, you'll have to use the pelican crossing to get across the junction if you're heading from Pully to Douglas, as you're now on the wrong side of the road to cross the junction with traffic.  You're not allowed to ride across a Pelican crossing, so now you're also going to have to dismount! 

I am fairly sure the “design” team at the DOI published plans when this started showing the intention to remodel the Peel Road junction to provide cycle crossings and other trendy box ticking facilities.

The artist’s impressions will be online somewhere.

32 minutes ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

I am fairly sure the “design” team at the DOI published plans when this started showing the intention to remodel the Peel Road junction to provide cycle crossings and other trendy box ticking facilities.

All hail the crayonistas! 

If you're mystified by it, the cycle lane connects to the cycle route past the Bowl, through the NSC, along the old railway line, across the crossing on the Castletown road, on to the TT escape road and on to the heritage trail. I'm not clear how the crossings will work yet, but I guess when it's finished, it links up all the cycle routes all the way from Central Douglas to Peel. Can't see that being a bad thing - the heritage trail is developing from a rutted, boggy path into a civilised walking, horse-riding and cycling route that will encourage walkers, cyclists and riders to use it instead of the main roads, which seems to be good thinking.   

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

On the wall at a Nursery? 

8 minutes ago, The Bastard said:

If you're mystified by it, the cycle lane connects to the cycle route past the Bowl, through the NSC, along the old railway line, across the crossing on the Castletown road, on to the TT escape road and on to the heritage trail. I'm not clear how the crossings will work yet, but I guess when it's finished, it links up all the cycle routes all the way from Central Douglas to Peel. Can't see that being a bad thing - the heritage trail is developing from a rutted, boggy path into a civilised walking, horse-riding and cycling route that will encourage walkers, cyclists and riders to use it instead of the main roads, which seems to be good thinking.   

Oh I think it is a fairly reasonable idea; easy cycle routes into the capital from the 'Burbs.  It's just the execution seems a bit shit.  (During the summer) I'll ride into work on my bike at least once a week and have done from various points around Douglas over the last 15 years or so.  That junction used to be one of the least sketchy major junctions in Douglas for a bike. 

• Like 1