Sinn Fein...

1 hour ago, ManxTaxPayer said:

...now the largest party in Northern Ireland, making the DUP's position on Brexit look somewhat unwise with hindsight. If hindsight was needed. Amazing. Here's the moron Raab warning the EU about something that will never happen What a dick. I think I may live to see a united Ireland. 

Heaven forfend that any of us should see that.

It’ll take a unification vote on both sides of the border. Won’t happen. The unionists will unite in the North, and no one, not even Sinn Fein, actually believes it’s an economic possibility for the South to support and integrate the North without a blood bath.

1 hour ago, ManxTaxPayer said:

...now the largest party in Northern Ireland, making the DUP's position on Brexit look somewhat unwise with hindsight. If hindsight was needed. Amazing. Here's the moron Raab warning the EU about something that will never happen What a dick. I think I may live to see a united Ireland. 

20 minutes ago, Eris said:

Heaven forfend that any of us should see that.

On 5/8/2022 at 4:52 PM, John Wright said:

It’ll take a unification vote on both sides of the border. Won’t happen. The unionists will unite in the North, and no one, not even Sinn Fein, actually believes it’s an economic possibility for the South to support and integrate the North without a blood bath.

John

I am not sure about your blood bath prediction. That was predicted with the ending of apartheid in South Africa and without wishing to diminish the problems that did ensue it wasn’t the “ blood bath” that many forecast.

Those wishing to vote, or not vote, for unification on either side of the border will not have the economic consequences in the forefront of their minds.

As with Brexit it will be more a matter of principle. Economic stability comes and goes, constitutional issues ( nationalism, sovereignty etc) have a greater place in peoples hearts and minds

There is no way the Republic (pop about 5m) would ever want to take on the festering sore that is the Six Counties (pop about 2m) riven as it is by a religious divide. I mean, why would they bother when there's so little in it for them?

There is also no clear mechanism about how it could ever be achieved either. It's nothing like as simple as a referendum on both sides of the border. See https://www.instituteforgovernment.org.uk/explainers/irish-reunification

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, P.K. said:

There is no way the Republic (pop about 5m) would ever want to take on the festering sore that is the Six Counties (pop about 2m) riven as it is by a religious divide. I mean, why would they bother when there's so little in it for them?

There is also no clear mechanism about how it could ever be achieved either. It's nothing like as simple as a referendum on both sides of the border. See https://www.instituteforgovernment.org.uk/explainers/irish-reunification

Why do you describe Ulster as a festering sore?

On 5/8/2022 at 4:52 PM, John Wright said:

I didn't think any of us would live to see Brexit, given how stupid a concept it seemed - We Did

I didnt think any of us would see something like Trump in the whitehouse, and a literal insurrection - We Did

I didnt think any of us would see a land war in Europe that resulted in a massive recession and the threat of NATO intervention - We Did

Assuming that ridiculous things wont happen has been repeatedly proven incorrect in the last 10 years.

I blame the internet ....

56 minutes ago, Flubbergump said:

I didn't think any of us would live to see Brexit, given how stupid a concept it seemed - We Did

It seemed a very sensible concept to the majority.Given the opportunity I would certainly have voted for it.

If American I wouldn’t have voted for Trump. But they did. That’s democracy.

14 hours ago, Flubbergump said:

I didnt think any of us would see something like Trump in the whitehouse, and a literal insurrection - We Did

I didnt think any of us would see a land war in Europe that resulted in a massive recession and the threat of NATO intervention - We Did

Assuming that ridiculous things wont happen has been repeatedly proven incorrect in the last 10 years.

You forgot the pandemic. Fail.

We seem to be becoming inured to all the lies emanating from this excuse of a government which is a worry.

The "oven ready deal" and the "no border in the Irish Sea" bolox they were pedalling is hardly surprisingly starting to unravel:

"No option off the table on Northern Ireland protocol, Gove warns EU

Senior minister leaves open possibility UK could pass law to disapply parts of framework"

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/may/11/no-option-off-the-table-on-northern-ireland-protocol-gove-warns-eu

"Gove warns EU" - what a load of nonsense...

Fortunately the US and the EU take the GFA a great deal more seriously than the bunch of self-centred chancers in Westminster.

• Sad 1