Ashford: Should he stay or should he go?

Newsdesk

Ashford: Should he stay or should he go?   

136 members have voted

1. 1. What is the forums view on this fantasists ability to hang on to a role on Comin?

• He should resign himself
    • He should be told to go regardless
  2. 2. Does anyone think he has the personal integrity to tender a resignation himself without being pushed?

3. 3. Should the UK also be asking questions about his MBE?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/30/2022 at 08:57 AM

1 hour ago, Numbnuts said:

.. But Skelly's stance in preventing questions is just wrong. ..

Speaker Juan Watterson made a point that the President of Tynwald quite rightly prevented the questions.

So there you have it.

1 hour ago, Newsdesk said:

As a voter I’m angry. Christian is my MHK. I spoke to her and I know others have too regarding to issue of Ashford. To throw her question out is basically insulting. What form of democracy do we have when your MHK is stopped from asking a question put to the CM on behalf of her constituents? Same with Faragher. Even the few who had the guts to ask questions got silenced. I’d agree with the comment further up this thread. They’re actually frightened. Once you start lifting the lid on the sewer all sorts of **** is going to float out. 

I don't believe any MHK or MLC is 'frightened' as you suggest. But if the presiding officer tells you you can't discuss the detail of a tribunal because of a sub-judice Standing Order, it's just wasting your time to try, as a couple of members found out. Whether or not it should be sub-judice is a matter for debate, but apparently the SO has been in place for a while.

No discussion was needed to be fair. Ashford just needs removing from post. Call it a Spring clean reshuffle. 

….oh, and the use of the word ‘accountability’ by Alf is frankly embarrassing. 

Edited by cheesypeas
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

I don't believe any MHK or MLC is 'frightened' as you suggest. But if the presiding officer tells you you can't discuss the detail of a tribunal because of a sub-judice Standing Order, it's just wasting your time to try, as a couple of members found out. Whether or not it should be sub-judice is a matter for debate, but apparently the SO has been in place for a while.

I think after Christian and Faragher were shut down persisting would have been simply making a token protest. Maybe there's the opportunity for a point of order to question the ruling. Sometimes a symbolic protest is necessary; sometimes it looks like grandstanding. 

I'd have tempted to follow up the first question to Ashy with a supplementary asking how widely he'd consulted his departmental experts in preparing his reply. 

7 minutes ago, forestboy said:

It’s just a circus with several clowns including Chief Minister and DA. 

It's a swamp full of some exceptionally slimy creatures.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, The Phantom said:

I see Ashie in passing a couple of times a week at lunchtime. 

I've always managed to restrain myself, but has anyone got any suggested insults I loudly growl at him now?

Unless you're in primary school I would say don't shout any insults 

3 hours ago, Newsdesk said:

As a voter I’m angry. Christian is my MHK. I spoke to her and I know others have too regarding to issue of Ashford. To throw her question out is basically insulting. What form of democracy do we have when your MHK is stopped from asking a question put to the CM on behalf of her constituents? Same with Faragher. Even the few who had the guts to ask questions got silenced. I’d agree with the comment further up this thread. They’re actually frightened. Once you start lifting the lid on the sewer all sorts of **** is going to float out. 

At least you can speak to her, she has published her contact details. I can speak to @Stu Petersas his contact details are published, and on the Tynwald website. JPW has her contact details as c/o the Clerk of Tynwald. Not approachable, I am not playing snail mail or email to contact my elected representative within an issue. 

Democracy and Accountability- forget it, I am afraid Tynwald has gone beyond laughingstock, it would give the banana republics a good run. To think the UK Government are taking action against the BVI. We deserve the likes of the Guardian asking questions and bringing this area of concern to an outside audience.

2 minutes ago, 2112 said:

At least you can speak to her, she has published her contact details. I can speak to @Stu Petersas his contact details are published, and on the Tynwald website. JPW has her contact details as c/o the Clerk of Tynwald. Not approachable, I am not playing snail mail or email to contact my elected representative within an issue. 

Democracy and Accountability- forget it, I am afraid Tynwald has gone beyond laughingstock, it would give the banana republics a good run. To think the UK Government are taking action against the BVI. We deserve the likes of the Guardian asking questions and bringing this area of concern to an outside audience.

So you expect to be able to call your MHK and speak to them?