Ashford: Should he stay or should he go?

Newsdesk

Ashford: Should he stay or should he go?   

136 members have voted

1. 1. What is the forums view on this fantasists ability to hang on to a role on Comin?

• He should resign himself
    • He should be told to go regardless
  2. 2. Does anyone think he has the personal integrity to tender a resignation himself without being pushed?

3. 3. Should the UK also be asking questions about his MBE?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/30/2022 at 08:57 AM

I understand that but there is parliament and there is the Govt, ie Comin and we who think about these things can differentiate between the public mandate from the election and the role that they then take on in the Govt? Two very different roles with roles probably beyond their election mandate?

10 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

“You” may have got your way in that mob rule prevailed. The majority would rather Mr Ashford had continued in the role.

Hardly mob rule. That the majority would rather he continued gives a hint as to what is wrong with the current system. 

• Like 4

Mob rule? Isn't that really what democracy is all about? Those who feel that they can raise their voice above the non thinkers acceptance of the norm, to persuade others that their complacency was waiting for an explanation?

2 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Hardly mob rule. That the majority would rather he continued gives a hint as to what is wrong with the current system. 

It’s called democracy. I understand you have a problem with Mr Ashford but to say that the majority would rather he continues gives a hint as to what is wrong with the current system is a bit disturbing. 
There are a number of things I would like to change but recognize that I am in the minority. Frustrating though it is I accept I have to live with them.

6 minutes ago, Kopek said:

Mob rule? Isn't that really what democracy is all about? Those who feel that they can raise their voice above the non thinkers acceptance of the norm, to persuade others that their complacency was waiting for an explanation?

Well no. Think Extinction Rebellion, No to Oil and other similar groups.

Are you happy with what they do.? Causing inconvenience at best, putting lives in danger at worst

....but you don't know what the behind the scenes manipulations are so you cannot unquestionably support them, you have to vote for your favourite at the election and then hope that those who become Comin will continue to reflect your choice of them as an MHK. The closure of Comin to public scrutiny makes that hard?

1 minute ago, The Voice of Reason said:

It’s called democracy. I understand you have a problem with Mr Ashford but to say that the majority would rather he continues gives a hint as to what is wrong with the current system is a bit disturbing. 
There are a number of things I would like to change but recognize that I am in the minority. Frustrating though it is I accept I have to live with them.

Why is it disturbing?  Party politics would remove the granny farming and popularity competition that GEs tend to be here.  Individuals are elected on  promises that they have no hope of delivering because they are one of 24.  There would also be checks and balances by the party, by that I mean a proper party not the current lose association of people with vaguely aligned views we currently have, rather than the patronage we currently have.

If you cannot see that DA had little choice, if he did have a choice, given the outcome of the Tribunal added to the Dr G issue then it is no wonder the chancers and charlatans perpetuate.   

• Like 4

Gladys, I'm not sure that an organised Party would be rid of the cliches you refer to.

If they played their cards rightly, they would indeed target Grannies and present a different manifesto to Somerset Road than to Willlaston ?

That's the way I would tackle it? You?

If they were to attain a majority  or near so, would they then behave in the same way as the current Comin?

• Like 1

VoR is expressing an opinion that is probably right for North Dlas and Ashfords  supporters for his performance in covid meetings but he ignores the difference in roles of an  MHK and a Govt minister.

I don't think it is Mob Rule, rather than a vociferous minority, given the general apathy of the Manx voter, to advance a solution that the said majority had not thought about?

• Like 1

There’s a basic lack of political philosophy. Lots of it is bet hedging and indecision, with a focus on operational stuff.

Part of me is glad we’re comfortable enough not to be polarised with money, no white privilege, anti-woke, climate scepticism vs BLM, woke, militant green etc but it’s so dishonest for so many mhks to grandstand on the shit they do.

on the other hand dog whistlers can get home in many constituencies on the fears of 500 oldies with an average of 20 years left and a house and pension under their arse who read the Mail.

Why the fuck would you come back or not want to leave? Any progressive 20 - 40 year old is demographically disenfranchised. And expected to be taxed more on earnings and indirect spend to support a system that’ll be fucked before they reach anything close to retirement age.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Voice of Reason said:

“You” may have got your way in that mob rule prevailed. The majority would rather Mr Ashford had continued in the role.

I think , in fact I know your very wrong with that statement. People who I know who are not usually vociferous have been sickened by the revelations coming out from the tribunal. He should have been sacked as soon as the judgement was made and says it all about Cannan that he wasn't. In fact I would have gone futher and told him he was done as a MHK too.