Ashford: Should he stay or should he go?

Newsdesk

Ashford: Should he stay or should he go?   

136 members have voted

1. 1. What is the forums view on this fantasists ability to hang on to a role on Comin?

• He should resign himself
    • He should be told to go regardless
  2. 2. Does anyone think he has the personal integrity to tender a resignation himself without being pushed?

3. 3. Should the UK also be asking questions about his MBE?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/30/2022 at 08:57 AM

4 minutes ago, Passing Time said:

These people are the very reason idiots keep getting voted back in...

There's a sort of person who believes because a politician helped them personally with a problem, then they can do no wrong (of course the MHK is literally only do what they are paid for).  But clientelism isn't as strong in the Isle of Man as you might expect (compared to somewhere like Ireland or Malta say) and there aren't as many of these people as you might think.

Ashford had a very impressive-looking result in 2021, but he was flattered by having probably the weakest opposition of any constituency.  I'm sure the Manx Labour Party would have got a seat with a half-decent candidate for example.   But you only have to compare the result that say Boot and Harmer got in 2021 compared to 2016 to see decent opposition can deflate such a result.

Ashford also had the advantage  of having received so much coverage over the previous 18 months - and anyone's going to look good standing next to Quayle all the time.  He got a pretty easy ride from the media except Moulton (and us).  None of this will apply in future.

I think people also have to remember that Facebook can flatter support.  Because people mostly post under their own name, an early and vociferous outpouring from backers of a particular position will mean that a lot who disagree won't say anything so as not to offend the backers.  But silence doesn't always mean consent and I don't get the impression of a massive wave of support for Ashford from those I've spoken to.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

There's a sort of person who believes because a politician helped them personally with a problem, then they can do no wrong (of course the MHK is literally only do what they are paid for).  But clientelism isn't as strong in the Isle of Man as you might expect (compared to somewhere like Ireland or Malta say) and there aren't as many of these people as you might think.

It’s worse than that with Ashy though. There’s still a load of mad old bats out there who think that he literally saved their lives during lockdown such has been the lingering effects of his ridiculous covid briefings. It’s been mentioned before but I think that’s where a lot of his delusions of popularity stem from - a load of pensioners quivering around his Manx Radio broadcasts like it was the Blitz. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1