Ashford: Should he stay or should he go?

Newsdesk

Ashford: Should he stay or should he go?   

136 members have voted

1. 1. What is the forums view on this fantasists ability to hang on to a role on Comin?

• He should resign himself
    • He should be told to go regardless
  2. 2. Does anyone think he has the personal integrity to tender a resignation himself without being pushed?

3. 3. Should the UK also be asking questions about his MBE?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/30/2022 at 08:57 AM

A proper leader would listen to all sides, the pros and the cons, not siding with one party. Whether someone had a music degree is irrelevant, Magson who had faults must have been experienced to apply for the job/secondment. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, snowman said:

It's totally relevant and necessary

Then also add her MBA (more relevant to her being Interim CEO; I think everyone would agree 😎).

Just to be clear, I think her behaviour was despicable and hope further actions are taken agsinst her, but I am also a stickler for accuracy). 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Capt_Mainwaring said:

Fair enough, say not qualified to provide advice, I just feel that the addition of 'music graduate' makes it sound rather pompous. Just my opinion. I agree with what Rachel has said, for the record. Just not how it has been put.

Is Kathryn Magson not a music graduate? I believe the phrase was in mind due to Chris Robertshaw using it earlier today.

• Like 1

Just now, 2112 said:

A proper leader would listen to all sides, the pros and the cons, not siding with one party. Whether someone had a music degree is irrelevant, Magson who had faults must have been experienced to apply for the job/secondment. 

So true. And it is so strange (to me) that in a crisis, she failed to assemble her best team. A true leader would call on all brains, ensure diversity of opinion, and ensure their team was delivering well beyond the sum of the individuals.

Why she failed on this is bewildering.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, 747-400 said:

So true. And it is so strange (to me) that in a crisis, she failed to assemble her best team. A true leader would call on all brains, ensure diversity of opinion, and ensure their team was delivering well beyond the sum of the individuals.

Why she failed on this is bewildering.

First rule when employed by IOM government is to never employ or listen to anyone more intelligent than yourself.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, rachomics said:

Is Kathryn Magson not a music graduate? I believe the phrase was in mind due to Chris Robertshaw using it earlier today.

In my view the qualification(s) are irrelevant IF the person is right for the role (unless a specific qualification is required of course).

Also, in my experience people can interview well and then turn out to be incapable of performing the role.

Just a shame it has ended up here when some better leadership could have given a better outcome. 

Time for some big changes, hopefully starting tomorrow.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, finlo said:

First rule when employed by IOM government is to never employ or listen to anyone more intelligent than yourself.

Unless they are your child, god daughter, nephew, badminton partner, or fellow churchgoer.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, finlo said:

Because part of the culture for some is that there is no-one more intelligent than yourself....?

Edited by Non-Believer
Typo

24 minutes ago, Capt_Mainwaring said:

In my view the qualification(s) are irrelevant IF the person is right for the role (unless a specific qualification is required of course).

Also, in my experience people can interview well and then turn out to be incapable of performing the role.

Just a shame it has ended up here when some better leadership could have given a better outcome. 

Time for some big changes, hopefully starting tomorrow.

As with many other professional qualifications there are some real deadheads who hold an MBA. Unfortunately what natters is performance in the job which cannot be assessed before the office holder is appointed and his/her competence can be judged properly. If their suitability for the post is found to be insufficient then their survival depends on the inertia or otherwise displayed by those in chage of the hiring and firing.

9 minutes ago, ubbiali said:

As with many other professional qualifications there are some real deadheads who hold an MBA. Unfortunately what natters is performance in the job which cannot be assessed before the office holder is appointed and his/her competence can be judged properly. If their suitability for the post is found to be insufficient then their survival depends on the inertia or otherwise displayed by those in chage of the hiring and firing.

Or - and most importantly in my view - the coaching, mentoring and leadership skills of the leaders in the department/team. If that ultimately leads to dismissal, then so be it - that's part and parcel of being in a senior management position. 

25 minutes ago, Capt_Mainwaring said:

Or - and most importantly in my view - the coaching, mentoring and leadership skills of the leaders in the department/team. If that ultimately leads to dismissal, then so be it - that's part and parcel of being in a senior management position. 

I don`t dispute that. Perhaps I should have said "....their survival or otherwise...."

I think we agree that the responsibility rests with those charged with the hiring and firing. Whether or not that responsibility is shirked is another matter, it would appear that inertia rules in certain areas.

It seems there's a lack of accountability for poor performance. The deckchairs just get rearranged. True leaders make the tough decisions. Also, if you employ the right people with the right work ethic in the first place it helps.

The current problems seem deep rooted. It needs someone to go in and make sweeping changes - I've seen it where I am and it's hard for employees initially, but it makes a massive difference to morale, productivity and overall performance. 

The current profligacy cannot go on.

• Like 6