Ashford: Should he stay or should he go?

Newsdesk

Ashford: Should he stay or should he go?   

136 members have voted

1. 1. What is the forums view on this fantasists ability to hang on to a role on Comin?

• He should resign himself
    • He should be told to go regardless
  2. 2. Does anyone think he has the personal integrity to tender a resignation himself without being pushed?

3. 3. Should the UK also be asking questions about his MBE?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/30/2022 at 08:57 AM

4 minutes ago, 2112 said:

I agree to some extent, but I wouldn’t go to that environment or scene dressed up in a full suit, waistcoat, shirt and tie. If he was there in a political capacity - Rob Callisters bag handler yes I can accept him wearing a suit. Incidentally I would wear formal dress if I were going to the theatre, opera or classical music show. If I were going to a rock or heavy metal gig, then I would dress for the occasion - not a suit! 

I can’t imagine Ashford owns a pair of jeans or even the classic Manx one week only leather jacket or blouson to be honest. In fact I bet his mum still irons his underpants and that he wears those mini suspender things to hold up his socks and even cuts the lawn in a three piece suit just in case the neighbours are watching. 

10 minutes ago, 2112 said:

I agree to some extent, but I wouldn’t go to that environment or scene dressed up in a full suit, waistcoat, shirt and tie. If he was there in a political capacity - Rob Callisters bag handler yes I can accept him wearing a suit. Incidentally I would wear formal dress if I were going to the theatre, opera or classical music show. If I were going to a rock or heavy metal gig, then I would dress for the occasion - not a suit! 

Just wear what you want.

I am sure DA is so grateful that you can accept him wearing a suit in some capacity.

Like the Jam wore suits in their early years. Was that inappropriate for a punk/ rock/pop combo ?

I thought the days of the style police were over. Obviously not

4 minutes ago, Newsdesk said:

They were new wave mods. 

I would say they were born of the punk scene and very cleverly came up with their own particular style.They were brilliant

Anyway however you want to categorize them they still had the right to wear whatever they wanted  😀

Edited by The Voice of Reason

32 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Like the Jam wore suits in their early years. Was that inappropriate for a punk/ rock/pop combo ?

I thought the days of the style police were over. Obviously not

You're getting confused Grandad, it was the Style Council.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

As a species, politicians, I suspect have unusual levels of self-belief, coupled with a need for attention.

This tends to suppress self- doubt,  and with it the nagging thought that in reality they are bit, “come-day, go-day”-ish..

That said, what is so wrong with wearing a suit -tie, cravat, waistcoat if you so choose?
-Even if you are not due in court- or attending a funeral or wedding ?
It is so very unusual now, that only aged, style refuges from the 1960’s and 70’s could possibly  regard such attire as being any way “ conventional”.

Edited by hampsterkahn

I can across this and it reminded me of the discussion about Ashford and his suit and tie grandstand appearance. Very apt?

stuffed shirt, a

A pompous, self-satisfied, rigid person. Shakespeare had the idea in Much Ado about Nothing (1.1), “He is no less than a stuffed man,” implying that this person was so full of himself that he was, in fact, quite empty.
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, 2112 said:

You dress for the occasion, using common sense. Was he there in an officious capacity - an inspector role? He is a mere back bench MHK not holding CM Cannans hand, unless he is holding something for Rob Callister? Does he not possess a pair of jeans and a polo shirt, and a pair of boots or trainers? Smart Casual. 

I think he could have strolled across the paddock dressed like a model from the Cotton Traders catalogue and some would still mock him.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, code99 said:

Surely, the old maxim “Trust, but verify” must apply to DA. Unfortunately, he was not even able to do that, let alone lead! The man was a massive disappointment as a Minister. He should have realised all of the skulduggery that was going on, on his watch, for months. He failed Dr Glover, he failed Dr Ranson and in doing so he failed the IOM public.

Indeed. Totally devoid of any independent thought. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, code99 said:

He should have realised all of the skulduggery that was going on, on his watch, for months. He failed Dr Glover, he failed Dr Ranson and in doing so he failed the IOM public.

We all got twitchy noses at the Dr Glover and the letter fiasco at the time - they continued to twitch thereafter. 

I had a long running argument with someone on here, can't remember who, that his failing seemed to be not to ask why the leading doctor on the island was being blocked from direct communication with him at a time of a worldwide health crisis.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3