Ashford: Should he stay or should he go?

Newsdesk

Ashford: Should he stay or should he go?   

136 members have voted

1. 1. What is the forums view on this fantasists ability to hang on to a role on Comin?

• He should resign himself
    • He should be told to go regardless
  2. 2. Does anyone think he has the personal integrity to tender a resignation himself without being pushed?

3. 3. Should the UK also be asking questions about his MBE?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/30/2022 at 08:57 AM

3 hours ago, offshoremanxman said:

I think Newsdesk might be right above. There seems to be something weird going on with the links and the code. I posted a comment before and it ended up under a totally different story. 

Get Ashford on the case....he can sort the code!

• Haha 1

On 7/12/2022 at 11:04 AM, Roger Mexico said:

It's had problems longer than that with recursive links and the like.  I don't think it's IOM Newspapers separately but Tindle in general though - other papers in the group seem to have the same website.

Either way it’s littered with what look like code bugs. 

33 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

In 1940, Britain turned once again to Churchill. In 2022, will the IOM look once again to Ashford ?

CM Cannan is both thick skinned and has a tin ear. I can’t imagine that he cares what other thinks, and he will put whoever he wants into DfE. If he did, he will find that the Manx public won’t stand for it, once the follow up hearing has been complete - re Ransom, if it’s really negative, then another petition could swirl around, with signatures reaching the levels of the St Marks Elms. I doubt Alf, even with his ‘brain’ would want that.

1 hour ago, 2112 said:

CM Cannan is both thick skinned and has a tin ear. I can’t imagine that he cares what other thinks, and he will put whoever he wants into DfE. If he did, he will find that the Manx public won’t stand for it, once the follow up hearing has been complete - re Ransom, if it’s really negative, then another petition could swirl around, with signatures reaching the levels of the St Marks Elms. I doubt Alf, even with his ‘brain’ would want that.

Perhaps the most relevant thing is that Cannan got rid of Ashford in the first place and only two months ago.  Letting him back in now would look very odd.  In the aftermath of the Ranson decision it was just about possible if not plausible for Ashford to hang on[1] and clearly they spent most of the week prising his fingers off the Treasury doorframe.  So it not just took a lot of effort, but clearly Cannan (and as important CoMin) really wanted him gone.

Listening to questions yesterday morning, it reminded me just how unlikeable Ashford is.  He was simultaneously patronising and grovelling, authoritative-sounding and inaccurate.  He was complaining about stuff not being done, when the period of inactivity was when he was in CoMin.  He clearly believed that he knew better than everyone else and that it was everyone else's job to have done things yesterday even though they were only asked for today.  If we find it irritating just listening to it occasionally, imagine how annoying he  must be to work with.  CoMin were tight-lipped about his departure and I doubt they are clamouring to have him back.

[1]  Using the line "I big girl did it and she ran away (even though she was never here in the first place)".  It would have needed a lot of brass neck after all the evidence provided, but that's something that Ashford has never lacked.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, 2112 said:

And do what exactly - moan on MF?

• Haha 1

Ashford ‘led’ the debate into whether there should be a review into local authorities on the island, according to the NPM. Ashford seeing himself as something as an authority on local democracy, because of his vast experience of wasting ratepayers money on frivolous things such as chewing gum removal machines. Whilst our elected clowns may have been in agreement, does that mean there is going to be a consultation or is it a done deal?

What DfE actually needs is a Minister with some intellect, with some experience of the private sector and wealth generation and the ability to listen to everyone else but themselves first. The list of candidates is very short and Ashford would not be on it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Roxanne said:

What about Mrs Christian? Would she fit the bill? 

She’s too clever. What the DfE is really looking for is an idiot. They don’t really want anyone who might be able to find the lack of talent in the DfE management chain out. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1