Will Greenhow announces his retirement

ManxFelicia

I recall suggesting a few days ago that Greenhow would be a prominent casualty of the Ranson affair. 

The fact that he leaves such a key role immediately, makes it pretty clear that he's been pushed. Presumably, he'd have been Magson's 'line manager' and the way she has been portrayed in the Ranson Report implicates him, in a way that was always going to make his position untenable. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Nellie said:

I recall suggesting a few days ago that Greenhow would be a prominent casualty of the Ranson affair. 

The fact that he leaves such a key role immediately, makes it pretty clear that he's been pushed. Presumably, he'd have been Magson's 'line manager' and the way she has been portrayed in the Ranson Report implicates him, in a way that was always going to make his position untenable. 

He does feature somewhat in the tribunal, and is line manager for Henrietta?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Nellie said:

Perhaps he’s being sacrificed to save Ashford, doing a Boris!

At what point does the Governor tell HMG that we are not fit to govern ourselves?

Must be getting close?

ETA. Imagine a similar situation in the UK with the head of the CS "retiring" after "that" or similar tribunal

Imagine the witch hunt the UK press would do including the TV news to chase Ashford or his UK equivalent out of office.

Why is is any different here?

People have done really shitty things (or not done things - ACTS OR OMISSIONS is the legal speak) that have 100% cost lives, they need emptying.

If I had a close relative that had died in the first wave, I would be looking for a meeting with at least one MHK, one on one with no minutes taken like they favour. Grantham would do as a place to have the meeting................

Edited by Boris Johnson

1 hour ago, Two-lane said:

Surely a retirement announcement is treated in the same way as a resignation - there is a notice period to be worked. Even Reynolds worked the notice period.

'worked'  must mean something else to you then.

i wonder if this is a ruse to try and deflect and take responsibility to try and protect ashie

Edited by WTF
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Boris Johnson said:

At what point does the Governor tell HMG that we are not fit to govern ourselves?

considering who he has to tell it makes quite an irony of the situation really

1 minute ago, WTF said:

considering who he has to tell it makes quite an irony of the situation really

Fair point but do you really think our lot are better?

You may not like the UK but at least there is a modicum of intelligence in their shenanigans, not just a "Manx Muddle" which is the usual excuse given for total and utter incompetence and corruption* of the highest level.

*Not financial for the short of brains

1 hour ago, Derek Flint said:

In other news it appears that the DHA have failed to appoint a successor to Gary Roberts. 

Doubtless he will humbly stay on. Having spoken to a number of former colleagues this weekend all is not well in that organisation either.

Same Department (DHA) and the Fire Service have appointed an Interim Chief for 6 months - Mr Davis said 'Recruiting an interim chief fire officer to lead the Isle of Man Fire and Rescue Service is an opportunity to provide ‘breathing space’. (whats that all about then Derek)?.

The lad who has been promoted is local, his Dad was a Chief Fire Office and his uncle was also a Chief Fire Officer (keep it in the family Lol).

After 6 months I believe they will open it up to a wider audience. 

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/chief-fire-officer-decision-will-provide-breathing-space/

1 hour ago, Banker said:

If he takes pension now he will suffer an actuarial reduction for every year before 65, he can’t take it out as IOMG stopped that a few years ago so unless he wants to take a big g hit he’ll have to live on savings or drive a bus for a few years!!

But you're forgetting 'the package'.  Special arrangements can always be made for the right people.

But his departure at this stage does puzzle me.  The whole thing had his fingers all over it, but there wasn't much proof and others are more in the firing line.  Maybe it provides a good excuse to do nothing else (can't reform the civil service when there's no one at the top) or maybe Cannan just wants to replace him with his own candidate and is using it as an excuse.

4 minutes ago, Last Ten said:

Same Department (DHA) and the Fire Service have appointed an Interim Chief for 6 months - Mr Davis said 'Recruiting an interim chief fire officer to lead the Isle of Man Fire and Rescue Service is an opportunity to provide ‘breathing space’. (whats that all about then Derek)?.

The lad who has been promoted is local, his Dad was a Chief Fire Office and his uncle was also a Chief Fire Officer (keep it in the family Lol).

After 6 months I believe they will open it up to a wider audience. 

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/chief-fire-officer-decision-will-provide-breathing-space/

I know a couple of EX firemen and they told me 7-8 years ago that the promotion system in IOMFRS had morphed into just like every other gov dep't - The longer served the higher you get.

I have no idea about this latest appointment, might be the saviour of the IOMFRS all I can do is say what I was told a good few years ago.............................

Edited by Boris Johnson
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Banker said:

At least he has resigned unlike Ashford!! Must be unexpected as Caldric CEO of treasury is in charge on an interim basis not Lewin 

Agree you’d expect Lewin to have got it as he was clearly being groomed for the role so they must really have spent the last week prizing his fingers off the the edge of the doorframe.