Big Plan moves onto Fantasy Island

english zloty

The island is up shit creek, negative headline abound and it’s politicians are fighting for their political lives. What does it do, it spins spins and spins, and this is definitely spin. Tell the MHKs what they want to hear, and hey presto, all COMINS problems are forgotten.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, english zloty said:

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/laws-on-animal-welfare-and-racial-discrimination-due-before-2026/

Not clever enough to link to the Interim Update, but oh my word. No wonder Will said it was ambitious

It's lucky you've got me then isn't it?

Actually it's already out of date because they tried to shunt the whistleblowing legislation away to 2024-25 (and then no doubt to infinity) and they've now had to promise to bring it forward to later this year.  Looking at it, the programme's actually not very ambitious.  There's actually a big backlog of bread and butter stuff because the Quayle administration didn't want to do anything (even before they had the excuse of Covid) and legislative drafting seems to have fallen to pieces.  Hence the recent Bill they rushed through on patients complaints which they thought they'd done anyway.

Edited by Roger Mexico
Clarity
  • Thanks 1

it will take a couple of years to  undertake the consultation process thats required  especially as some of these bills are very controversial , and bearing in mind  some of the bills  involve a couple of departments  ,it will be too much for the legislative  drafters and  senior civil servants  to cope with , look what has happened with the Education bill  and the landlords , ,at the end of the day  we want legislation  that is meaningful and actually works ! not more bureaucracy and government strangulation  requiring even more regulators and civil servants . this Island is tottering on the brink , at present  and that needs to be clearly understood  by everyone .

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Governments priority should to be to stop the Island looking like a shithole. Particularly if we want folk to visit. 

Doesn't need a grand plan (presumably created within the ever expanding cabinet office) to see that a lick of paint and pavements and paths which are not completely failing is a more important investment than a team of people tracking imaginary targets. 

I am so saddened at the state of our Island soon to be witnessed by our TT visitors. 😭😭

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, english zloty said:

Governments priority should to be to stop the Island looking like a shithole. Particularly if we want folk to visit. 

Doesn't need a grand plan (presumably created within the ever expanding cabinet office) to see that a lick of paint and pavements and paths which are not completely failing is a more important investment than a team of people tracking imaginary targets. 

I am so saddened at the state of our Island soon to be witnessed by our TT visitors. 😭😭

I've not long returned from a trip to the adjacent isle. I thought it was bad here, but my eyes were opened with a few places I visited. Sat in Laxey tram Station today listening to a large group of coach party tourists who seemed to be praising the place. The grass isn't always greener.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, english zloty said:

I can absolutely assure you that the last thing on the minds of our TT visitors is the internal politics of the Isle of Man.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, english zloty said:

am so saddened at the state of our Island soon to be witnessed by our TT visitors. 😭😭

Yeah, let's cancel the TT. Can't have them seeing how we have to live???

• Haha 2

They've announced some plans for the Wildlife Park to try and reduce its dependence on the DEFA budget. Apparently it involves bringing in a consultant....

Maybe a new attraction could be conducted tours through the Government Swamp?

Edited by Non-Believer
extra bit
  • Sad 1