Another one bites the dust

Bandits

I'm not going to name names but there have been some CMs and high financial officers who have found roles in, say, banking that their experience, prior to their political tenure would not have made them an obvious choice for these roles???

It could be that a Millk producer was not a natural leader for an Hotel group? But that is for you to decide???

Edited by Kopek
  • Haha 1

My take on the resignation's are, Hand it in make no fuss. Make a statement if you so wish(more time with family/new career opertunity), keep collecting salary till end of this financial year, Holidays or lou time is covered this way and mortgage payments taken care of. Once you start your brave new career or draw the eye watering pension this will all be water under the bridge, people will say Hetty who.

6 hours ago, Ghost Ship said:

I wonder if Dr Ranson was not well liked within DHSC?

Wasn't one of the first things she did was to draw up a list of things that could be done better or weren't working properly within Nobles and the wider health service?

If there was a "this is the way we do things because this is how we've always done things" culture within DHSC, I can imagine that a "come over" pointing out things that could be improved upon might not be very popular...

Well needed experience, a come over is a bit of an old fashioned view, as most of those binned are ‘come overs’ to use your term. 

34 minutes ago, WTF said:

the only bank related CM that springs to my mind is don G having something to do with KSF that went tits up.

IIRC, both Gelling and Cashen(?) were found to be sitting on the Board of the local KSF operation whilst also being on the Govt's Regulatory Board i.e. the FSC.

No clash of interests there then, naturally. And Gelling as a former salesman of IoM Farmers was obviously well qualified in such matters.

Clearly formal qualification is not then a prerequisite for such appointments?

4 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

IIRC, both Gelling and Cashen(?) were found to be sitting on the Board of the local KSF operation whilst also being on the Govt's Regulatory Board i.e. the FSC.

No clash of interests there then, naturally. And Gelling as a former salesman of IoM Farmers was obviously well qualified in such matters.

Then the bank went bust ..

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

As a non-exec it is more about experience and a different perspective,  the non-execs aren't getting involved in operational matters.  Although increasingly a general qualification such as Inst of Directors is highly desirable. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kopek said:

I'm not going to name names but there have been some CMs and high financial officers who have found roles in, say, banking that their experience, prior to their political tenure would not have made them an obvious choice for these roles???

It could be that a Millk producer was not a natural leader for an Hotel group? But that is for you to decide???

So you made it up then...

2 minutes ago, Bandits said:

Then the bank went bust ..

The bank failed (again IIRC) because of the failure of its Icelandic parent rather than any local failure. It spawned a panic in the world banking system and a local bailout had to be arranged by Treasury for the local operation (a Scheme of Arrangement?), because the compensation scheme in place at the time wasn't fit for purpose? Bell was TM at the time. But I do clearly remember questions being asked as to why regulators could be sitting on its Board.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

The bank failed (again IIRC) because of the failure of its Icelandic parent rather than any local failure. It spawned a panic in the world banking system and a local bailout had to be arranged by Treasury for the local operation (a Scheme of Arrangement?), because the compensation scheme in place at the time wasn't fit for purpose? Bell was TM at the time. But I do clearly remember questions being asked as to why regulators could be sitting on its Board.

That’s all a bit wrong. A scheme of arrangement was explored. It wasn’t adopted. The bank spent ages in limbo, and DCS didn’t operate until in liquidation. Also DCS wasn’t funded ( still isn’t ).

KSF (IoM) wasn’t really insolvent as it’s assets always exceeded its liabilities, just the assets weren’t liquid.

Government funded the compensation. Everyone, including government, was paid out in full. Even after paying liquidation costs. The only loss to government was the substantial cost of drawing up the scheme of arrangement that went nowhere 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1