Another one bites the dust

Bandits

13 minutes ago, SleepyJoe said:

Is the political leadership - like Johnson - turning on senior civil servants to save it's own skin?

Bit early to be thinking that . And no one with any degree of sense would disagree that a clearout is needed . In fact long overdue .

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

Bit early to be thinking that . And no one with any degree of sense would disagree that a clearout isn't needed . In fact long overdue .

Is the clearout removing dead wood or downsizing government, the gargantuan size of which many of us have viewed with dismay?

Edited by SleepyJoe
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, SleepyJoe said:

Is the clearout removing dead wood, or downsizing the gargantuan size of government that many of us view with dismay?

Both work for me. As observer says above though hoping for a continuation in the days to come.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, hampsterkahn said:

There has been a remarkable silence regarding Dr H Ewart who featured so prominently and so very unfavourably in the tribunal with regard to  the facts that emerged, the evidence she rather tardily provided, and  the manner in which she  delivered  it.

As I said above, hers will presumably be spun as a 'retirement' and these may take more time to set up that a straightforward 'resignation'.  But it was interesting that the latest pronouncement on monkeypox didn't come from her but from Glenn Blacker, who I think is an EHO, rather than  a doctor.

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

Both work for me. As observer says above though hoping for a continuation in the days to come.

I don't think it will be so dramatic.  Both Malone and Conie had to go quickly because of the Ranson decision.  To leave them in place would have looked like endorsing such behaviour.  But both were also in charge of organisations that were shown to have been malfunctioning, and need fixing/dismantling urgently.  I suspect future departures will be lower key and there will more formal redundancies and maybe redeployments (just because someone is in a 'bullshit job', it doesn't mean they can't do something useful).

I think the involvement of Poole-Wilson (who Deputy CM as well as DHA Minister) is crucial here.  She clearly knows how these things can be done in a watertight way - even if no one in HR appears to.  So future defenestrations may take longer as evidence is gathered and compiled and maybe procedures started.  Some things may have been happening that are cause for instant dismissal however.  But that depends how contracts are drawn up (or if they even exist, HR really are useless) and if people can try to exonerate themselves by claiming past practice.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

What's an EHO?

Environmental Health Office.  I was a bit surprised as he was described as "head of health protection at Public Health" and Public Health is in the Cabinet Office while EHOs usually come under DEFA, but maybe the CO is expanding again.  Or maybe he was really giving advice on what to do if your monkey catches it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Environmental Health Office.  I was a bit surprised as he was described as "head of health protection at Public Health" and Public Health is in the Cabinet Office while EHOs usually come under DEFA, but maybe the CO is expanding again.  Or maybe he was really giving advice on what to do if your monkey catches it.

Or if you catch it from your monkey? ‘Though that might involve other Authorities, of a non health nature.