Another one bites the dust

Bandits

34 minutes ago, Bandits said:

Maybe they could get her under the trades description act? She looks quite fit on her Facebook profile. It must be at least 15 years out of date. 

7290D46F-71F4-4E11-8DC3-0BFE1F38FAAD.jpeg

That's a bit low and unnecessary to be honest. 

• Like 9

5 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Environmental Health Office.  I was a bit surprised as he was described as "head of health protection at Public Health" and Public Health is in the Cabinet Office while EHOs usually come under DEFA, but maybe the CO is expanding again.  Or maybe he was really giving advice on what to do if your monkey catches it.

Or maybe he's just changed jobs?

4 minutes ago, Kopek said:

Are any of them reasonably profitable to be attractive to a Lessee? Maybe the Gaiety but you wouldn't want a repairing lease!!!

Anyone taking on the bus company services would be mental. It’s already losing £7M a year. And you could never replace the drivers with anyone who cost you less money to drive vehicles. Your fleet costs would go up too as you’d have to use finance or actual shareholders cash to replace fleet. Not magic capital funding that doesn't even hit your P & L. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Kopek said:

Are any of them reasonably profitable to be attractive to a Lessee? Maybe the Gaiety but you wouldn't want a repairing lease!!!

Nothing there that could ever survive without being propped up. All will always run on a deficit .

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bandits said:

Anyone taking on the bus company services would be mental. It’s already losing £7M a year. And you could never replace the drivers with anyone who cost you less money to drive vehicles. Your fleet costs would go up too as you’d have to use finance or actual shareholders cash to replace fleet. Not magic capital funding that doesn't even hit your P & L. 

Jersey and Guernsey have both franchised their bus services to the same UK based Social Enterprise Company. The arrangement is much more subtle than your post seems to envisage. It's not just a case of expecting a commercial company to take the whole thing on, and trying to make a profit.

Basically, the J and G Governments provide the vehicles, and specify the routes, frequencies, fares etc. The franchisee gets paid for providing the service, presumably including profit, ROC etc. and the Government gets the revenue.

The franchisee is incentivised to increase their margin through efficient use of resources, manpower, sharing functions with their parent, and by professional marketing of the services, to increase usage and revenue. There are incentives for growing passenger numbers, revenue, punctuality and penalties for lost mileage, and poor service. 

I'm sure that their are aspects I haven't covered and I am not simply going down the 'it works in Jersey' route, but what I am saying is that there are ways they could provide a good service without the IOMG providing it directly, which we are now seeing, does not work and costs a fortune.

• Like 1