Another one bites the dust

Bandits

4 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

No it needed to be done now.  The Ranson case was about whistleblowing and the refusal of politicians and other senior civil servants to listen to those whistles. 

While Randall showing his face round the Departments is all very well, I would say they need to set something up quickly to act as a go-to place for those with concerns to get advice.  Something completely confidential but fairly informal - people shouldn't need to think they have to make a formal complaint, just that they will be listened to and the information used to improve methods of working and communicating.

Agree , its a good and timely move. Start as you mean to go on and sends out the right message . 

• Like 1

It's public Gladys, it's on soc media, it is intended to support the many good CS/PS and I agree that should be done and indeed should have been done a long time ago, too often the 'leaning on shovels' jibe arises.

I just think the good message will be lost in the current opprobrium for the miscreants and that the best method would be to clear out weeds and then praise the remainder?

I'm just waiting to hear a MInister to say, ''We thank this bitch for her service these two years and wish her well while we try to sort out the shitstorm she has left us with''.

Laurie?

5 minutes ago, Kopek said:

It's public Gladys, it's on soc media, it is intended to support the many good CS/PS and I agree that should be done and indeed should have been done a long time ago, too often the 'leaning on shovels' jibe arises.

I just think the good message will be lost in the current opprobrium for the miscreants and that the best method would be to clear out weeds and then praise the remainder?

I'm just waiting to hear a MInister to say, ''We thank this bitch for her service these two years and wish her well while we try to sort out the shitstorm she has left us with''.

Laurie?

This is the very time to send the message to staff that they are valued and their concerns will be heeded and not swept to one side. The message won't be lost in all the opprobrium to the staff, and they are the ones who count.  It also opens the doors for the weeds currently hiding in the shade to come into the full daylight. 

I absolutely agree with RM, there does need to be an informal process where people are advised and listened to and do not feel that if they speak up it will start a chain effect which will come back to bite them. 

• Like 3

Interesting to see how many of you presume that these 'resignations' have been instigated by genuine political scrutiny. That isn't usually how our government works, because if it did the other departments of government wouldn't be so badly run.

It looks to me that there seems to have been some sort of collective gross misconduct. I wouldn't be surprised if  some sort of whistle-blowing or external investigation has uncovered some sort of dodgy and botched collusion to arse-cover over a bad decision, or get rid of a dangerously or expensively crap civil servant. You can't just have people 'resign' on the spot unless there is evidence of gross misconduct, can you? It seems like some sort of damming evidence has come to light and the guilty parties have resigned one by one as they realise their positions are untenable. 

That's what it all looks like anyway. In my opinion this all stems from appointing people with no personal investment in the community they are to serve, and almost always from our neighbouring jurisdiction to the right - which has had awful standards of governance for decades. 

Edited by Freggyragh

4 minutes ago, Freggyragh said:

Interesting to see how many of you presume that these 'resignations' have been instigated by genuine political scrutiny. That isn't usually how our government works, because if it did the other departments of government wouldn't be so badly run.

It looks to me that there seems to have been some sort of collective gross misconduct. I wouldn't be surprised if  some sort of whistle-blowing or external investigation has uncovered some sort of dodgy and botched collusion to arse-cover over a bad decision, or get rid of a dangerously or expensively crap civil servant. You can't just have people 'resign' on the spot unless there is evidence of gross misconduct, can you? It seems like some sort of damming evidence has come to light and the guilty parties have resigned one by one as they realise their positions are untenable. 

That's what it all looks like anyway. In my opinion this all stems from appointing people with no personal investment in the community they are to serve, and almost always from our neighbouring jurisdiction to the right - which has had awful standards of governance for decades. 

You didn’t read the Ranson Employment Tribunal decision, then?

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

33 minutes ago, Freggyragh said:

In my opinion this all stems from appointing people with no personal investment in the community they are to serve, and almost always from our neighbouring jurisdiction to the right - which has had awful standards of governance for decades. 

Sounds like every Civil Servant then.

Edited by Annoymouse