Another one bites the dust

Bandits

3 hours ago, wrighty said:

It would have been interesting if there’d been a clock visible in the background. I imagine it would have been flicking back and forth as individual phrases were recorded and re-recorded before all the ‘good takes’ were spliced together. 

No one has a speech defect that bad!  It's the constant switching between zoomed in and out shots that makes it so bad.  I was beginning to feel seasick. I suppose the idea is to add drama to the words being said, but it's just distracting.

But to be fair it may be that Grenlight have snapped up everyone on the Island, who can operate any video equipment, over the age of ten.  So the editor should just be sent to bed without any tea.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

No one has a speech defect that bad!  It's the constant switching between zoomed in and out shots that makes it so bad.  I was beginning to feel seasick. I suppose the idea is to add drama to the words being said, but it's just distracting.

But to be fair it may be that Grenlight have snapped up everyone on the Island, who can operate any video equipment, over the age of ten.  So the editor should just be sent to bed without any tea.

Maybe he did it himself without a remote control so he could surprise all the staff😂

1 hour ago, 2112 said:

Ex CM Quayle will probably be ensconced in his house living like a hermit I would imagine,, keeping quiet. If he opens his mouth he runs the risk of reopening possible allegations and people with scores to settle.

Alas no.  I saw him at an event a few days after the Decision came out, beaming broadly, swanning about with the great and the good.  As ever you don't know if the man has no sense of shame or if he's so stupid he doesn't know what is going on.

1 hour ago, 2112 said:

If you look at the Baldric (I’ve got a cunning plan) video, he on IOMG behalf, blames social media. You can clearly see the animosity IOMG have for social media, and I could see them introducing legislation if they thought they could. 

I don't think he blames social media, just saying that some comments that have been unfair in condemning all public servants equally.  Though why anyone should get upset about people making hyperbolic statement on social media is another issue.  Some people do nothing else and everyone sensible ignores them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

To be fair, Caldric Randall is a decent and competent man who will not have been involved in the Dr Ranson scandal. However, a new broom is needed and that new broom needs to come from a different supplier. I would like to see someone brought in from an external organisation, public or private sector, with a proven record in visible leadership. It’s going to be a big job to drag our senior public service back to a position where it can enjoy a reputation for fair play, competence and high standards of conduct. It needs someone with experience, skill and charisma to do it. It’s time for leadership, not the behind the scenes sleeching and administrating we have had in recent years. As I said, Caldric Randall is decent enough but not exactly the big broom we need. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, joebean said:

My prediction; a new structure will see DfE disappear. 

I’d get rid of agencies & MDC and tourism, combining the rest with cabinet office. Property & local authorities should come out of DOI & go to Chris Thomas who should be in cabinet.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, joebean said:

My prediction; a new structure will see DfE disappear. 

There is no room for the DfE. It’s a complete waste of time. Dismantle it and move the Companies Registry back under the FSC which would help them self fund rather than targeting licenseholders with ever increasing fines. Then hand tourism over to an outside panel of private business people with a vested interest in it being successful. The digital agency is sort of arms length anyway. Then hand marketing of the finance sector over to a similar outside panel made of up business people with a vested interest in it being successful. Then get rid of all the dead wood which is a huge number of people. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, joebean said:

However, a new broom is needed and that new broom needs to come from a different supplier. I would like to see someone brought in from an external organisation, public or private sector, with a proven record in visible leadership. It’s going to be a big job to drag our senior public service back to a position where it can enjoy a reputation for fair play, competence and high standards of conduct. It needs someone with experience, skill and charisma to do it. 

Except of course that's the sort of solution we've tried time and time again for the DHSC for example.  And it hasn't really worked has it?  You just get someone who's very good at performing and rhetoric and blathering on about leadership and vision and sees themselves above such minor trivialities as fixing stuff.  It's basically how DoI has operated as well and all that whole areas of the Cabinet Office do.  Maybe it's the time for boring accountants who like to make things work.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1