Another one bites the dust

Bandits

1 hour ago, english zloty said:

I know for a fact the terms of some of the NDA. @Stu Peters look up Mutually Assured Resignation as that's probably how it's been done. Nothing to do with retirement lump sums. Resign today and get £X or fight us in Court and potentially lose everything.

On behalf of the public you could ask how many and how much has been or will be paid out In the past six months. I think that passes the FOI test? 

Out of interest (and slightly off-topic perhaps) I think you suggested in the thread about whistleblowing that another fairly senior civil servant (and their solicitor spouse?) had previously won at least one other employment tribunal - presumably against their former UK employer - and had won at least one  "pay off" of some kind.

Have you any more substantial information on that?  (It's an area I have a particular interest in because of the nature of my former employment)

14 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Roger knows, and anyone who has been paying attention knows, that Dick Lole is not going to come out of the kennington case looking very good.

You are left with the impression that the primary focus here is liability management around tribunals and legal cases. So ultimately a conversation is had on the basis of ‘This is going to look bad on you and your position. It may end up a misconduct matter. So which letter do you want to sign - the resignation one or the retirement one?’

A bit like Alice’s blue pill or red pill. 

77D5ED8B-D496-4EEE-AC9A-75C5D5118F3C.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Newsdesk said:

Hopefully a case of Alf finally waking up to the fact that in certain sectors we have a public sector that is out of control and which totally embarrasses its political masters and which has got worse the more untouchable the people within it have thought they have got.

The only way a balanced govt budget is to be attained is by removing high cost personnel in departments, it would appear

5 minutes ago, SleepyJoe said:

The only way a balanced govt budget is to be attained is by removing high cost personnel in departments, it would appear

Also the only way many taxpayers will retain balance of their finances and sanities too. With any luck there'll be a review of some more of these "environmental/ecological" posts in DEFA too, I'm convinced that they're just job creation for certain sectors of society on the Island.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Happier diner said:

There may be other inducements to 'go quietly'. I think they are known as non disclosure agreements. Such inducements might be, e.g an extra year on pension. Paid notice periods, gardening leave, whatever. Its not unique to IOM Gov. It happens the world over, public and private industries and services.

It's actually happened to me once upon a time. 

"We want you to leave, but know that realistically we don't have much of a leg to stand on, would have to go through due process and could end up in court for unfair dismissal etc.  So if you just resign now and sign this saying you won't go to Employment Tribunal, then here is a cheque for 6 months pay.  Now empty your desk and goodbye." 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

Also the only way many taxpayers will retain balance of their finances and sanities too. With any luck there'll be a review of some more of these "environmental/ecological" posts in DEFA too, I'm convinced that they're just job creation for certain sectors of society on the Island.

There's a huge job to be done in shifting IOM agriculture away from cattle ranching & into forestry + sustainable food production

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SleepyJoe said:

There's a huge job to be done in shifting IOM agriculture away from cattle ranching & into forestry + sustainable food production

Remove the grants and see how fast the island rewilds.

Or change the calculation of them, base it on acreage of traditional Manx woodland.

1 hour ago, MadAsHell said:

Remove the grants and see how fast the island rewilds.

Or change the calculation of them, base it on acreage of traditional Manx woodland.

Well this is the thing - further education grants were removed in order that farmers could be paid to do cattle ranching

Government took a share in the 'national herd'

14 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Black went under the 'old' regime though, when Greenhow was still running things and the new CoMin had barely started (had Crookall made his departure a condition of taking the job?).  There were hints in the latest departures that such generosity was no longer automatic.  Though Longworth would have been entitled to retire anyway.

Apparently Longworth has gone now but doesn’t retire until September. So he’s either being placed in gardening leave or has quite a bit of flexi stored up