Another one bites the dust

Bandits

7 minutes ago, Omobono said:

I bet you will get a shock , there are vehicles owned by government that  hardly turn a wheel  and really departmental ownership can not be justified

A while ago there was gossip about the mini-bus mileage. Attached is an image of some data - I assume I have the spreadsheet somewhere...

2.2.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Omobono said:

it would be a useful exercise for someone in Tynwald to ask  a question regarding the numbers  and type of vehicles either in government ownership  or leased over the last 5  years ,    who maintained them and what the policy was for vehicle replacement , 

You only have to go to Chrystal’s auctions when a government sale is on. Most of it is really low mileage stuff that hasn’t been used for years. Half of them have lost service histories or lost keys or log books and end up going for next to nothing. The DOI plant sales are mostly of diggers and other kit that has done very few hours work. The impression you get is of appalling fleet management across the board where toys are bought whether needed or not to fill the budget and then nothing is looked after. 

Edited by Steady Eddie
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, Steady Eddie said:

You only have to go to Chrystal’s auctions when a government sale is on. Most of it is really low mileage stuff that hasn’t been used for years. Half of them have lost service histories or lost keys or log books and end up going for next to nothing. The DOI plant sales are mostly of diggers and other kit that has done very few hours work. The impression you get is of appalling fleet management across the board. 

I’m told by friends at Ellerslie that there’s been 4 Head of Fleet Managers in the last 4 years because they all leave after spending a year with Longworth. Maybe now he’s gone the current guy can actually do his job without being told to buy Mercedes 

Edited by SpunkCookie
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, SpunkCookie said:

Maybe now he’s gone the current guy can actually do his job without being told to buy Mercedes 

It’s why so many people are consistently bullied into buying Mercedes that needs to be investigated. Is Longtail still driving round in that Mercedes GLA in Bus Vannin grey? 

5 minutes ago, joebean said:

I’m not sure what Mr Longworth did in his waking hours, but I sat in 2 meetings (which I didn’t want to go to) where he was present and he was asleep for long periods in both of them. I expect he will have a restful retirement. 

A while ago I was told he tended to fall asleep at his desk (narcolepsy?). It was a bit worrying to me that at the time he was driving trains and trams.

On 6/19/2022 at 12:09 PM, joebean said:

I’m not sure what Mr Longworth did in his waking hours, but I sat in 2 meetings (which I didn’t want to go to) where he was present and he was asleep for long periods in both of them. I expect he will have a restful retirement. 

This is the man who was having input into the Promenade in respect of the horsetrams. It might explain a few things.

• Like 2

On 6/19/2022 at 12:14 PM, SpunkCookie said:

I’m told by friends at Ellerslie that there’s been 4 Head of Fleet Managers in the last 4 years because they all leave after spending a year with Longworth. Maybe now he’s gone the current guy can actually do his job without being told to buy Mercedes 

It's difficult to say whether there are viable options to Mercedes, they may represent the best all round value? Sometimes, having a hotch potch fleet can work against you for various reasons.  

56 minutes ago, Max Power said:

It's difficult to say whether there are viable options to Mercedes, they may represent the best all round value? Sometimes, having a hotch potch fleet can work against you for various reasons.  

A mixed fleet will work against you if you’re relying on after sales support, stocking of parts etc. Sticking to 1 or 2 brands is probably better particularly if you can negotiate with the manufacturer to have diagnostic access and training as part of the purchase. However, there will be bespoke vehicles (ie fire appliances, police vans) where it just may not be practical to procure that particular manufacturer 

Mercedes are likely to be more expensive to purchase outright than Iveco, Volvo and DAF, but if the whole life costs, including residual value are better over 5,7 or 10 years then I understand why these are bought. However it’s still a massive outlay from Treasury and the business cases need to be justifiable 

• Like 1