Another one bites the dust

Bandits

29 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

Don't forget the massive outgoing of pensions.

Any leavers unless it’s a very serious medical reason only get their full pension entitlement at age 65, if they take pension early then there’s an actuarial reduction for each year paid before 65. It’s normally in the region of 4/5% reduction for each year.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Ghost Ship said:

I wonder if Dr Ranson was not well liked within DHSC?

Wasn't one of the first things she did was to draw up a list of things that could be done better or weren't working properly within Nobles and the wider health service?

If there was a "this is the way we do things because this is how we've always done things" culture within DHSC, I can imagine that a "come over" pointing out things that could be improved upon might not be very popular...

There is probably much truth in that, but it was executed by a "comeover" who didn't even come over. 

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, rachomics said:

Isn't that the reason anyone with any decent off-Island professional experience gets ousted (me included)?

Probably.  Maybe that's why so many appointments from off-island appear only to flourish if they accept the staus quo.

The list of challenges Dr Ranson faced on arrival are at paras 128 and 129 of the tribunal decision.  I suspect that identifying them did not endear her to the DHSC

Edited by Ghost Ship
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Ghost Ship said:

Well it's been obvious that govt HR has been severely dysfunctional in that it's been incapable of getting rid of people who probably should never have been employed in the first place, let alone remain in emplyment.

But just getting rid of the head might not be enough.  You need a change of culture where all staff are tightly performance managed and where anybody - up to an including chief secretary - can be got rid off if they don't perform

You need a strong HR function

HR is self policing and therefore not fit for purpose. Current oversight is by commissioners all of whom, I think, have themselves been public servants at point or another.

15 minutes ago, Ghost Ship said:

I wonder if Dr Ranson was not well liked within DHSC?

Wasn't one of the first things she did was to draw up a list of things that could be done better or weren't working properly within Nobles and the wider health service?

If there was a "this is the way we do things because this is how we've always done things" culture within DHSC, I can imagine that a "come over" pointing out things that could be improved upon might not be very popular...

As I suggested earlier there are always two sides to a story.

5 minutes ago, Gladys said:

There is probably much truth in that, but it was executed by a "comeover" who didn't even come over. 

As regards the other comeover who stayed in the UK, bullying at a senior level is not entirely unknown in the NHS.  (Some might say it was widespread).

Maybe that comeover picked up bad habits  from Herfordshire...

(Staff in DHSC might have been happy to be complicit in Mrs Magson's treatment of Dr Ranson on the basis that Mrs Magson was less of a threat because she wasn't physically present)

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Ghost Ship said:

Are you saying that providing a performance management structure is not a HR function or are you saying that civil servants should not be subject to such a performance management scheme?  Or maybe you mean both?

Either way, don't both legitimately fall within the HR function?

(And obviously the point of such a scheme is to manage performance and to facilitate the removal of managers - however senior - who don't perform.  Isn't that part of the global HR function?)

HR can provide the structure for effective performance management but it is up to the highly paid managers to actually implement it.

If a person needs removing from post on the grounds of performance capability that is again a function of management which HR should support to ensure fairness and a compliance with policy and law.

HR are not just there to do a manager's dirty work.

2 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

As I suggested earlier there are always two sides to a story.

Are you suggesting that Dr Ranson's identification of issues that needed improvement would justify her subsequent treatment?

(Sorry - really don't understand the point you are trying to make.  Presumably a competent tribunal with with two prominent counsel representing the parties would have unearthed both sides of the story?  Notwithstanding that DHSC apparently failed to comply with disclosure)

6 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

I'm worried about the pay offs. 

Not sure all will get one.   There seems a groundswell here which is often the case when  all have tried to hang on and then they fall like dominoes. All the time there is the issue of the documents submitted and questioned by the tribunal. This looms large on the horizon. It seems a lot have been caught out by the tribunal. More to  come I think.

Edited by Hmmmm
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Bandits said:

I think we can all guess that there will be further actions arising from the Ranson tribunal now if they’re f**king out the head of HR. 

This afternoon Henrietta is currently blocking any number who calls her mobile 🤔

Edited by 747-400
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Is that true?

The silence around her position is deafening. 

My joke. 

But Dr E is the remaining candidate on my list to go. 

Maybe Monkeypox will keep her job safe for now. 

Edited by 747-400
typo