Another one bites the dust

Bandits

5 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

A certain department was invited for a meeting today and reportedly thanked for their service.... this HR women certainly doesn't seem to be the last...

Thats a given ... be hard to stop as the level of incompetence seems staggering. My main money is still on DOI though as they take the biscuit . 

Edited by Numbnuts

3 minutes ago, 747-400 said:

My joke. 

But Dr E is the remaining candidate on my list to go. 

Maybe Monkeypox will keep her job safe for now. 

And mine.  In fact she and DA should have been the first to offer up contrite resignations. 

• Like 8

54 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Possibly, but it seems so widespread that it is curious that no one said anything  even if it was not to get involved.

Perhaps there was a feeling of immunity given the pandemic that came from the very top.  You know something like " we're in a pandemic, you do what you have to do".  Thus the green light was given. 

And leave yourself targeted and likely bullied ??. If it really is the culture , like it seems , nobody wants that.

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Gladys said:

It just seems everyone was unfettered even by a basic sense of fair play. How could anyone involved believe it would end in anything but a car crash for all involved. 

Just remember all the avoidable car crashes from Govt in the last 10+ years and think about what repercussions or sanctions have been applied to those responsible....nobody was ever accountable, that's why we are where we are now.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Ghost Ship said:

Are you saying that providing a performance management structure is not a HR function or are you saying that civil servants should not be subject to such a performance management scheme?  Or maybe you mean both?

Either way, don't both legitimately fall within the HR function?

(And obviously the point of such a scheme is to manage performance and to facilitate the removal of managers - however senior - who don't perform.  Isn't that part of the global HR function?)

HR managers would manage the performance of those working in their department, though they may help other departments with training and advice; it should then be for individual departments to manage the performance of those working there. The problem as I see it is that the CEOs and their deputies are not sufficiently accountable, because of the structure and the inability of their political leaders to manage them. Government HR on the IoM is not generally seen as supportive and enabling, especially with recruitment - disqualifying strong candidates educated to postgraduate level in the relevant discipline, because they did not pick up a GCSE in Maths or English along the way. It is useless at helping to get rid of employees who take the piss and seems primarily concerned with arse-covering.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Just remember all the avoidable car crashes from Govt in the last 10+ years and think about what repercussions or sanctions have been applied to those responsible....nobody was ever accountable, that's why we are where we are now.

This +1 

The culture has been twisted with everyone knowing they are seemingly untouchable regardless .

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Gladys said:

It is very sad, primarily for Dr R, but why didn't some of the lesser players say "hang on a minute"?  Or was the WFH environment allowing aberrant behaviour to go unchecked even if it is just a passing comment from a colleague "oh, that's a bit mean"?

As far as I can see most of this happened when those on the Island wouldn't have been working from home on the Island - most of the key events were in Autumn 2020 and after.  The only person working from home was Magson and you would have thought that made her bullying less effective and those colluding with her would have had plenty of opportunity to try to stop it.  The fact they didn't is telling of the culture in Manx government - one that some politicians have been happy to endorse because it gave them an easy life.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

As  they are resignations their pension rights should remain up the cut off point. Not sure Gross Misconduct could change that? Resignations just make it easier, legally.

As they are 'with immediate effect' it is clear that they have been pushed so severance pay should not be available as there hasn't been time to negotiate such?

I would disclude the DfE chap from this, his departure seems to be for different reasons to the Tribunal result.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, 747-400 said:

Maybe Monkeypox will keep her job safe for now. 

We should start getting really worried as soon as Hetty reassures us that there's nothing to worry about.

(I'm sure there's a video somewhere where she assures us that nothing will come of this new virus from China)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

As far as I can see most of this happened when those on the Island wouldn't have been working from home on the Island - most of the key events were in Autumn 2020 and after.  The only person working from home was Magson and you would have thought that made her bullying less effective and those colluding with her would have had plenty of opportunity to try to stop it.  The fact they didn't is telling of the culture in Manx government - one that some politicians have been happy to endorse because it gave them an easy life.

I get that, but did the whole scenario gain traction while people were WFH and while their only peer contact was with the other players?

I just wonder if you kind of gather (in this case the wrong) camaraderie when you are shuffling off to your laptop in your PJs to have yet another Teams with your counterpart  similarly unburdened with the etiquette and protocols of a formal environment?

Anyone starting in HR will have huge sympathy with the person on the other side of the desk, natural human reaction, whether they are setting performance standards or listening to bullying complaints.

However, as they move up the hierarchy they will lose touch with the 'Faces' and will be meeting more and more with other hierarchy adopting their attitude and maybe contriving to be 'one of  them'?