Staffing our border cost £2 million. Why?

Bandits

A good question that the brains trust of CM Cannan and now Allinson should be answering. Lots of money was needlessly wasted, especially aimed at pleasing certain groups within Manx Society. Recruitment Agencies did very well out of this. The ‘owner’ of the old bus station site was another winner as well. 

3 minutes ago, 2112 said:

A good question that the brains trust of CM Cannan and now Allinson should be answering. Lots of money was needlessly wasted, especially aimed at pleasing certain groups within Manx Society. Recruitment Agencies did very well out of this. The ‘owner’ of the old bus station site was another winner as well. 

why couldn't they have used the TT marshals tetra radios  lying there doing nothing !   ,instead of purchasing ,  there were a lot of them and not being used ,  money looks like it just went to keep the steam  up on the gravy train , I hope the public accounts committee gives this matter full scrutiny , and staff should have been rostered just to meet the boats ,and off during part of the day 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bandits said:

Because it's Isle of Man Government.  Where You Can.  Why spend (say) £100k if you can spend £2m instead?  Anyway, I'm sure official figures will show the £2m was well within budget...   

• Haha 1

If we can blow 100m on Merseyside for something that was going to cost 20m, then you realise budgetary control is not something we are good at !

I think you may well see some budgetary control now, as the cash is not as readily available any more.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, 2112 said:

Our experience on sailings to Douglas during the pandemic, on one occasion, consisted of 5 vehicles and 3 pax. At most it was twenty vehicles. A trickle. On landing our documentation was checked by, I think, an IOMSPCo employee with two gov employees on hand should issues need checking. Not exactly stretching the purse strings.

We were on the first sailing to Douglas when restrictions were lifted. It was rammed. They had actually done a decent job on the reception area with a good number of booths with gov employees checking paperwork. However what was noticeable was a police vehicle stop and search on the left and lots and lots and lots of "security staff" consisting mostly of young casuals wearing hi-vis. Loads and loads of them standing around doing nothing.

Why?

• Like 1

The cash wasted on the elaborate vaccine centres, also appalling. All for the sake of some portable screens or curtains.

Now they are hesitant to dismantle the things and the airport looks a joke! 

I am actually sick to death of hearing about the paralysing incompetence of our government, it’s a shameful disgrace! What happened to the auditor general, he could have saved us millions during the last two years alone, if he ever existed at all?

• Thanks 4

1 minute ago, Max Power said:

The cash wasted on the elaborate vaccine centres, also appalling. All for the sake of some portable screens or curtains.

Now they are hesitant to dismantle the things and the airport looks a joke! 

I am actually sick to death of hearing about the paralysing incompetence of our government, it’s a shameful disgrace! What happened to the auditor general, he could have saved us millions during the last two years alone, if he ever existed at all?

But think about the quality of skirting boards we got for that investment! 

• Haha 2