Weak sentencing…

Manx Bean

18 hours ago, HeteroErectus said:

I've mentioned this before. 

Look through the IOM pink book. The money brought in from income tax doesn't cover the benefits spend.

Except, £240 million, of the £325 million in benefits, isn’t paid out of income tax, that £240 m comes from NI received.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, De nada said:

1 hour ago, La Colombe said:

You think? There was no real harm done here. Probably deserves another chance to avoid custody. 

If it had been drink at that level ( nearly 4 times limit )  it would have been 5 year ban and prison.

But there’s lots of research that correlates the increasing alcohol reading to deteriorating driving standards.

Theres no such research linking drug levels with increased risk and decreased ability to drive. The drug drive limits are purely arbitrary and have no correlation to inability to drive.

• Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Weliveinhope said:

but shoudnt stiffer sentences be a deterrent to an activity that is illegal (ie the taking of). The law does seem a little contradictory on this point.

I’d say a stiff fine and a two year disqualification ( twice the ban as in England ) was quite a deterrent. First time. Second time, 5 years and a suspended sentence. As much for driving whilst disqualified as the drug level.

It’s why there isn’t a tariff set by Tynwald for increasing disqualification with reading level.

And most of the drugs can be in the system legally, as well as illegally..

I wonder how much it costs per annum to keep all the people imprisoned for drug related offences at the Jurby Continental.  One guy got 20 years that must be costing a fair whack providing of course he does the full time.   I am not arguing the wrongs and rights of long sentences for drug offences just wondering how much money is entailed.

9 hours ago, La Colombe said:

You think? There was no real harm done here. Probably deserves another chance to avoid custody. 

Nonsense.

There was indeed no real harm done here.  

The vast majority of drivers over the drink drive limit cause no real harm. Doesn’t make it right though.

Or is it only if they do cause harm,  ( death , injuries etc )that they should be punished?

6 hours ago, Fred the shred said:

I wonder how much it costs per annum to keep all the people imprisoned for drug related offences at the Jurby Continental.  One guy got 20 years that must be costing a fair whack providing of course he does the full time.   I am not arguing the wrongs and rights of long sentences for drug offences just wondering how much money is entailed.

I think it’s money, however much it is we have to be prepared to spend . It’s a social cost. 
I guess in an ideal world those imprisoned for such ( or any) offences should be made to pay for, or at least contribute to, the cost of their incarceration. 
But that’s  not going to happen. So we just have to consider it money well spent to keep such people off the streets.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

And that’s not what I answered. I was making a general comment on the topic

I have , you may be surprised to learn,  no idea of the annual costs of keeping people in prison 

About £50,000 per year.

• Like 1