Weak sentencing…

Manx Bean

2 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

That nurse who is accused of killing all those babies if found guilty should definitely hang by the neck.

Really?

On what basis would you have hung her?

• She may be a A1 mental fruit loop?
  • She may be innocent and its a miscarriage of justice?
  • She may be lucid but a really NASTY, NASTY Cun1 who should be locked up?

Hanging people is never a good outcome, nor killing them in any way.

Let the guilty suffer a long slow uninteresting life in a small cell till they die of natural causes and all the shitty interventions to save your life that that entails...........

Just now, hissingsid said:

How can it not save money ?   It costs fortunes to keep people in prison.

Does it? Around 17million hours of work per year are done by prisoners in the UK. Those prisoners get approx £6/week for doing so. You work out how much that would've cost if it was done by even minimum wage workers instead...

But even if it did save money, which I don't think it does, that's not a compelling reason to let the state kill people - including people it shouldn't have.

• Like 1

Just now, HeliX said:

Does it? Around 17million hours of work per year are done by prisoners in the UK. Those prisoners get approx £6/week for doing so. You work out how much that would've cost if it was done by even minimum wage workers instead...

But even if it did save money, which I don't think it does, that's not a compelling reason to let the state kill people - including people it shouldn't have.

Just how many people have been executed wrongly compared to those that deserved it?

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Passing Time said:

Just how many people have been executed wrongly compared to those that deserved it?

Any number more than 0 makes the death penalty indefensible. That and it not working as a deterrent, of course.

Edited by HeliX
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, manxfisherman said:

Even one is awful.

Here's a well known clip for you to watch

Priti Patel is not a nice person, the only good thing about Liz Truss's new cabinet is that Priti is not in it.

She eats spiders is not a rumor according to people I know in the square mile......................

1 hour ago, Boris Johnson said:

That's as bad a post as Stu's and you are lucid enough to actually know what you are posting...........

Being racist is never clever, or funny, as I am sure you were trying to be. I really don't think that you, OBS, are racist?

How do you get a race issue from that? I'm genuinely interested. From reading the news report their was no mention  of the perpetrators race, colour or anything else. 

Anyone raping someone at gunpoint (fake gun or not) should be handed the death penalty. 

You can check my previous posts, I support the death penalty for paedophiles and nonces too. 

The justice system on this island is a joke  

9 minutes ago, AOR said:

So did the defendant's mother have a valid point?

Or is no one interested? 

No, certainly not in the way she put it. He was in that courtroom because he raped someone at gunpoint. If she'd criticised the sentencing, maybe*. But that would need some serious analysis to prove.

*Black people are 53 per cent and Asian people 55 per cent more likely than white people to be sent to prison for an indictable offence at the Crown Court. Hopkins, K., et al., Associations between Ethnic Background and being Sentenced to Prison in the Crown Court in England and Wales in 2015, Ministry of Justice (2016).

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, manxfisherman said:

Even one is awful.

Here's a well known clip for you to watch

Thank you, and the deterrent point at the end is good too.  If it was such a deterrent there would have been no murders for centuries.  Add to that, the mindset of a suicide bomber and the whole basis of capital punishment is blown out of the water. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Manx17 said:

1. The rapist is a man not a boy .

2. Calling a black person a boy can be seen as racist.

A mother calling her son "my boy" is not racist, Stu's paraphrase wasn't unreasonable.

However, a mother blindly believing her son is innocent despite the evidence is not uncommon. I don't think it's wise to attribute too much weight to something called out in a moment of high emotion. Certainly it shouldn't be used to make a point about race relations.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1