Weak sentencing…

Manx Bean

15 minutes ago, manxfisherman said:

So say the IOM Gov wanted to change the law on something, wrote a new one, passed it in the keys, passed legco, signed it off and the the UK said no, but the IOM said so what we're doing it anyway, what would be the consequences? No one could be prosecuted under the new law cos it isn't an official new law? What else? 

It just doesn’t become law. So none of its provisions take effect.

Last time I can remember that was in relation to the Theft Act and the Criminal Damage Act in the late 1970’s. Complete overhaul of the law. New offences. Tynwald put clauses in to retain Judicial Corporal Punishment ( birching ). Royal Assent was withheld. Took a Manx General Election, new legislation, a U turn by Manx politicians to get it through.

The courts and the police wouldn’t recognise it. The Isle of Man has a partly written constitution. The requirement for Royal Assent and the announcement of that in Tynwald and promulgation on Tynwald Hill is written in statute. That statute can only be changed with Royal Assent.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

Bermuda has passed decriminalisation legislation early in 2022. UK government has refused to allow the Governor to sign Royal Assent.

The attitude is that the UK, and it’s dependencies and overseas territories are bound by international treaties that require criminalisation unless for medical or scientific research.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/governor-of-bermuda-update-on-cannabis-licensing-bill

https://www.emcdda.europa.eu/publications/topic-overviews/cannabis-policy/html_en

18 minutes ago, Beyond Belief said:

What I don't understand are heavy fines are imposed for being found in possession of small amounts of cannabis and yet corruption within the judicial/legal system goes largely unpunished, how does that work?

I agree. The Island's problem is that to decriminalise (still an offence reclassified from criminal to non-criminal) or to legalise will depend on the UK Home Office.

2 hours ago, code99 said:

I agree. The Island's problem is that to decriminalise (still an offence reclassified from criminal to non-criminal) or to legalise will depend on the UK Home Office.

As the UK Home Office are currently proposing making it Class A I assume that’s the technical reason why our trial hasn’t been signed off yet as it will need Home Office approval. They seem to not be confident our tracking procedures are robust enough. 

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/delay-to-cannabis-dispensing-service-due-to-information-capture-issue/

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Steady Eddie said:

As the UK Home Office are currently proposing making it Class A I assume that’s the technical reason why our trial hasn’t been signed off yet as it will need Home Office approval. They seem to not be confident our tracking procedures are robust enough. 

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/delay-to-cannabis-dispensing-service-due-to-information-capture-issue/

It's probably more that they forgot to put something in place.  Presumably there's agreements between the UK and the Channel Islands to do this, which the UK has approved and they could have copied.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steady Eddie said:

They aren’t really proposing reclassifying. It’s Braverman flying a kite of her own to raise her popularity with Col (retd)  Buffon Tufton from Tonbridge Wells types.

Reclassification hasn’t got a snowballs…

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, quilp said:

They aren't. Braverman's proposal was given the hoof a week ago. In a week she'll be given the hoof also. 

We can hope, and Rees Mogg, and Truss, and all the adherents of right wing “Libertarian” ideology emanating from Tufton Street think tanks.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 10/16/2022 at 2:30 PM, John Wright said:

We can hope, and Rees Mogg, and Truss, and all the adherents of right wing “Libertarian” ideology emanating from Tufton Street think tanks.

They have a point though , like all of us do. It’s called democracy. You may not like their ideology but they are entitled to it , or perhaps not in your world. By the way I have no truck with them or their ERG thinking. But I will always respect their right to their view. I’m guessing you don’t subscribe to that . 

12 hours ago, Anyone said:

They have a point though , like all of us do. It’s called democracy. You may not like their ideology but they are entitled to it , or perhaps not in your world. By the way I have no truck with them or their ERG thinking. But I will always respect their right to their view. I’m guessing you don’t subscribe to that . 

What has happened / is happening in the UK  is not "democracy". it is in my view manipulation of public opinion, lying and machiavellian manoeuvres aimed to fool some of the people most of the time. Always has been that way, always will be.

Let's not kid ourselves this is a democracy. Only a fool would do that. There, Ive said it !!

• Like 3