Weak sentencing…

Manx Bean

Send a picture of your knob to what you think is a 12 year old girl, only get a fine cos that's what the law says (this is utterly stupid), have some horrible photos on your computer and avoid jail. It's who you know...

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/spectacular-fall-from-grace-for-port-erin-man-caught-with-indecent-images/

14 minutes ago, manxfisherman said:

Send a picture of your knob to what you think is a 12 year old girl, only get a fine cos that's what the law says (this is utterly stupid), have some horrible photos on your computer and avoid jail. It's who you know...

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/spectacular-fall-from-grace-for-port-erin-man-caught-with-indecent-images/

Is this the guy doing the home surveys?

On 10/23/2022 at 10:18 PM, Anyone said:

They have a point though , like all of us do. It’s called democracy. You may not like their ideology but they are entitled to it , or perhaps not in your world. By the way I have no truck with them or their ERG thinking. But I will always respect their right to their view. I’m guessing you don’t subscribe to that . 

More than happy for them to have freedom of views and speech. That’s what a liberal western democracy is all about. 

But I, personally, don’t want people with their views in government, imposing the practical outcome of those views on the rest of us, nor do I want shady think tanks, of any political persuasion, having influence and pulling the strings.

Think tanks and lobbying groups are dangerous unless they’re fully transparent about the personnel AND their funding sources.

No idea where “perhaps not in your world” or “I’m guessing you don’t subscribe to that” can have come from.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, John Wright said:

More than happy for them to have freedom of views and speech. That’s what a liberal western democracy is all about. 

But I, personally, don’t want people with their views in government, imposing the practical outcome of those views on the rest of us, nor do I want shady think tanks, of any political persuasion, having influence and pulling the strings.

Think tanks and lobbying groups are dangerous unless they’re fully transparent about the personnel AND their funding sources.

No idea where “perhaps not in your world” or “I’m guessing you don’t subscribe to that” can have come from.

Well Rees-Mogg and most of his ilk are out , hurrah to that. One or two still lingering unfortunately. 

As regards your last comment my point was in the event the electorate did vote in Truss and her acolytes then we’d have to accept the will of the people ( I would even though I would not like it ). The fact was no one did want what she offered , she ripped up the Tory 2019 manifesto and that’s why the Tories got rid of her PDQ. But the far right and the far left don’t care about anything other than their ideologies. You said you don’t want people with those views in government , nor do I , but if they are voted in then they are entitled to be there and listened too , if nothing else that to reflect the views of those who elected them. So my point was I don’t think you like them being them being there or being listened too.

11 hours ago, John Wright said:

A laudable and common sense perspective. What's your view on those in government who are members of a secret society?

18 minutes ago, quaylaM said:

A laudable and common sense perspective. What's your view on those in government who are members of a secret society?

You’d have to be more specific. Does this group consist of people who have had cancer, or have eplileosy, or old scholars of a school, or the Manx Operatic?

Or something else?

And, by government do you refer to legislators, CoMin, departmental political members or civil and publisher servants?

2 minutes ago, John Wright said:

You’d have to be more specific. Does this group consist of people who have had cancer, or have eplileosy, or old scholars of a school, or the Manx Operatic?

Or something else?

And, by government do you refer to legislators, CoMin, departmental political members or civil and publisher servants?

Goat shaggers I presume.

Edited by finlo
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, Anyone said:

Well Rees-Mogg and most of his ilk are out , hurrah to that. One or two still lingering unfortunately. 

As regards your last comment my point was in the event the electorate did vote in Truss and her acolytes then we’d have to accept the will of the people ( I would even though I would not like it ). The fact was no one did want what she offered , she ripped up the Tory 2019 manifesto and that’s why the Tories got rid of her PDQ. But the far right and the far left don’t care about anything other than their ideologies. You said you don’t want people with those views in government , nor do I , but if they are voted in then they are entitled to be there and listened too , if nothing else that to reflect the views of those who elected them. So my point was I don’t think you like them being them being there or being listened too.

Extra parliamentary action, letter writing, demonstrations, direct action and investigative journalism don’t seem to figure in your view of politics. They do in mine, and they have a long, proud, history in challenging government and changing the law.

The will of the people is an interesting concept when turn out is only 60% and the winning coalition ( because that’s what political parties are) , only got 40% of the votes cast, ie less than a quarter of the electorate voted for them. So if an extreme wing of an established party takes control, or has seats at the top table, of course they should be challenged, inside and outside of parliament. Listening too, and critiquing and challenging is the better option than being supine and allowing abhorrent policies to be implemented.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Or something else?

I have no doubt you know exactly what I am referring to. In Douglas' Freemasons hall are pictures of almost all past and current deemsters proudly displaying their masonic regalia. It is deeply questionable or worse, that our so-called justice is dispensed by members of a secret society. The same surely applies to government?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, John Wright said:

Extra parliamentary action, letter writing, demonstrations, direct action and investigative journalism don’t seem to figure in your view of politics. They do in mine, and they have a long, proud, history in challenging government and changing the law.

Now you are putting words into my mouth. I don’t think I said any of that and what I said was not much different to what you said. I don’t want them in there but if they are , if elected , then they are entitled to be there , unless of course you think they are not. I think that’s what you don’t like because you think they have no place to be there or have a voice. If they are there and have a voice , albeit a small one , then we can shout them down. I think that’s a good thing ( the shouting down bit that is as I’m sure you’ll look at the stick and grab both wrong ends).

5 minutes ago, quaylaM said:

I have no doubt you know exactly what I am referring to. In Douglas' Freemasons hall are pictures of almost all past and current deemsters proudly displaying their masonic regalia. It is deeply questionable or worse, that our so-called justice is dispensed by members of a secret society. The same surely applies to government?

You should have said. I’m of the Groucho Marx persuasion. Wouldn’t want to be in any club that wanted me as a member.

Never been in a Masonic hall. No idea which, if any Deemsters and fellow advocates are masons. I know Henry Callow was, only time I ever saw him lose his cool was when a defendant sought clemency using language that even I assumed was Masonic. Henry went cold, pursed his lips, and imposed a heavier sentence than I’d expected.

Transparency demands openness and full, regular, disclosure of interests.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, quaylaM said:

You a good mason ? Please recommend one to me please. Last chancer we had did not use enough cement and the wall fell down after a week. 

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, John Wright said:

You should have said. I’m of the Groucho Marx persuasion. Wouldn’t want to be in any club that wanted me as a member.

Never been in a Masonic hall. No idea which, if any Deemsters and fellow advocates are masons. I know Henry Callow was, only time I ever saw him lose his cool was when a defendant sought clemency using language that even I assumed was Masonic. Henry went cold, pursed his lips, and imposed a heavier sentence than I’d expected.

Transparency demands openness and full, regular, disclosure of interests.

Nice anecdote and laudable sentiments. I reliably understand we have numerous members of government ‘on the square’ - how can it be right for anyone to have sworn an oath to a secret society whilst also claiming to govern us fairly? The origin of much of our corruption no doubt. Let us have the transparency you mention..

• Like 1

11 hours ago, quaylaM said:

Not much of a secret society if their pictures are plastered over the walls and people know about it

• Like 3
  • Haha 1