Weak sentencing…

Manx Bean

1 hour ago, Passing Time said:

You’ll find a juvenile is capable of killing somebody with a knife.

So you need guns to overpower a young girl with a knife? Surely a couple of officers with a most stab vests and lava spray.

16 hours ago, Banker said:

Not sentencing but seems completely OTT to send out armed officers to arrest a juvenile girl who used a knife 

https://www.three.fm/news/isle-of-man-news/douglas-knife-fight-ends-with-one-child-injured-another-arrested-by-armed-police/

We don't know the circumstances of course, maybe the girl had an Uzi strapped to her back, but what always strikes me about this desire to bring out the armed police is that it must cause delay while everyone dresses up in balaclavas and rushes around.  And in that time the person who is going to be arrested is free to do more damage.  So it may be about minimising risk to the police - though I have my doubts about that too if you're bringing guns into a situation where they weren't before - but it may increase it for everyone else involved.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Passing Time said:

You’ll find a juvenile is capable of killing somebody with a knife.

A juvenile is capable of killing someone with a broken bottle. Or a knitting needle. Some juveniles (male) are probably capable of killing someone with a single punch. Armed with a set of knuckles. You have to take a reasonable view.

The recent exploits of the IoM police regarding balaclavas and assault rifles does not impress me.

But then again, maybe the British police are not too wonderful. I was recently sitting in London City Airport (there were several police, all with rifles but no balaclavas) when two of them (one male, one female) ran passed. As they went by a gun magazine fell to the floor, and several bullets went bouncing and rolling around on the floor. They stopped, and crawled around the place collecting the bullets (the male part of the duo constantly uttering an obscenity) and then ran off. I did not offer to help.

I decided that if it came to the gunfight at the OK corral, I would be nowhere near them.

15 hours ago, Banker said:

So you need guns to overpower a young girl with a knife? Surely a couple of officers with a most stab vests and lava spray.

Seriously?  "It's ok lads, you've got some pepper spray and a vest.  Cross your fingers she doesn't get you in the face, throat, femoral atery etc.  Volunteers to wrestle her please"

If someone has been knifed (or attacked with any kind of weapon) then 100% armed officers should be called out.  This is what they are really for.  Not a pissed dude in Pulrose or a prank bomb call at a School. 

I've been knifed and had guns pulled on me.  Personally I'd prefer facing down someone who's got a gun rather than a knife, certainly from up close anyway. 

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Banker said:

Why should police officers put themselves in danger when there are other methods to deal with things? to deploy PAVA you still need to get within a metre or so of the person wielding the knife. Once again another call out for the firearms officers and nobody was hurt or injured. Good result all round

• Like 7

39 minutes ago, La Colombe said:

Well, apart from the person who was injured. 

It was only a mild knifing. It's overrated really. 

Funnily enough the wife threatened to stab me last night when I molested her whilst she was preparing food.  I had to point out to her that her chosen knife was particularly poor for stabbing (blunt tip but serrated) and would be much better used for slashing. It would be bloodier, but less likely to kill me.  She seemed a bit disturbed. 

1 hour ago, The Phantom said:

Funnily enough the wife threatened to stab me last night when I molested her whilst she was preparing food.  I had to point out to her that her chosen knife was particularly poor for stabbing (blunt tip but serrated) and would be much better used for slashing. It would be bloodier, but less likely to kill me.  She seemed a bit disturbed. 

She was probably trying to work out which bit to saw off first.