Is climate change a fraud?

Banker

2 hours ago, Annoymouse said:

We have one neighbour that burns stuff constantly, log burner in the winter, chimnea in the summer so we can’t leave our windows open or put washing out as it just stinks of smoke, it makes a nice summer evening in the garden near impossible and for good measure they smoke cigarettes too.

I’d love to see a ban on folks burning stuff in their garden, I don’t mind the smell of BBQs and to be fair I don’t really mind the smell of cigarettes but the wood or whatever is burnt in the garden is bloody horrible, it just swirls around everywhere in the wind and gives me a barking cough.

Probably masking the smell of other stuff smoking.... if you get my drift?

42 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Probably masking the smell of other stuff smoking.... if you get my drift?

I don’t really mind the smell of other stuff, I’d sooner live next door to a pair of stoners than a pair of middle aged alcoholics, but this is just them burning scrap wood and logs but the smoke does swirl round and is pungent, somehow it even works it way through the window seal.

53 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Its not a bonfire, it’s a chiminea/stove type thing and they mostly burn logs, so I don’t think there is any bonfire nuisance clause, not that I’d want to cause any issues with the neighbours, they’re just the type of you give them an inch they take a mile.

I know someone who replaced oil heating for an air source heat pump system. Cost £25,000, which she thinks is probably worthwhile, except that you never get instant heat out of it (it's gentle underfloor heating) and it makes an awful noise. She has a large detached house so the noisy equipment is at the end of her garden, but can you imagine the noise pollution from a street full of the things? Will nobody think of the children...?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Stu Peters said:

I know someone who replaced oil heating for an air source heat pump system. Cost £25,000, which she thinks is probably worthwhile, except that you never get instant heat out of it (it's gentle underfloor heating) and it makes an awful noise. She has a large detached house so the noisy equipment is at the end of her garden, but can you imagine the noise pollution from a street full of the things? Will nobody think of the children...?

She should get the installer back. They don't make any noise at all. You don't get instant heat, they have to be combined with a mega flow device or similar. 

£25k seems about right for a retro fit in a large house. 

• Like 1

Just now, Raffles said:

🤣 that doesn't say anywhere that burning branches in your garden is illegal 🤣

Because it isn't. 

Who mentioned branches. If you burn waste that was from the garden you are in that's ok. If you import waste from out with the curteledge then that becomes an offence. Not that anyone would actually enforce for a trivial bit of wood. 

It's the idiots who burn chipboard or MDF that will get done as that stuff is lethal. 

6 hours ago, Roxanne said:

I am also considering the possibility of an electric blanket for winter. The only thing is that it’s only freezing for the first couple of minutes jumping in and then after that it soon warms up. Seems like a bit of a waste of leccy just for two minutes of bliss  

And yet…

Electric underblanket from Marksies I think it was, awesome. Adjustable heat settings, timer incorporated, 2 hr increments up to 12 hours or you can just switch it on or off, I swear by mine. Helps me thaw out after being in the rest of the house 😂

• Like 1